Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Noob re-enactor: should I purchase this gladius?
Can I get some thoughts on this? Is it worth $80? It's a Pompeii Gladius with a bone handle, brass fittings and baldric. I am new and I dont want to buy something that isnt accurate.

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/4900/pompeii16cu.jpg
Kevin Dopke

Marcus Lucilius Severus
Legio XXIV
Ave Sillious,

try the Legio XX Handbook

http://www.larp.com/legioxx/gladius.html

an scroll down to the model 'SDK1171' - that should be that one.
Greetings from germania incognita

Heiko (Cornelius Quintus)

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
That scabbard looks like it has all the possibilities of customising, if you want to do so. The metal fittings usually come off quite easily on the cheaper items, so you could add all sorts of things to it, but the essential bits are ready made.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
It's a very nice gladius for the money. I believe still approved by Legio XX.
I have one and others in my group also. Just needs a little cosmetic work to be excellent, but perfectly acceptable as is(you may want to change the baldric,which is backwards and the buckle is from a watch band).
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
Oh excellent, thanks for your help. I ordered it.

Quote:Ave Sillious,

try the Legio XX Handbook

http://www.larp.com/legioxx/gladius.html

an scroll down to the model 'SDK1171' - that should be that one.
Kevin Dopke

Marcus Lucilius Severus
Legio XXIV
Yeah...get used to buying stuff and having to modify it...especially once you get the itch. I bought a deepeeka pompeii and ended up swapping all the wooden parts, as well as rebuidling a scabbard. But now i have a unique-ish looking sword.

Legion: TBD
sillious saurus\\n[quote]Oh excellent, thanks for your help. I ordered it.

"Sillious Saurus" Please read the rules for posting. I know some of the other moderators have sent you private messages, but you may not know how to access that part of the forum. Thank you.

New to RAT? Welcome to the board! Please make yourself at home and join in the lively discussions. Before you do, however, please have a look in the Announcements forum which contains important information about the board.
You have read the Rules for posting, some privacy information might also be relevant. Also, did you know we have storage space available for our member's use on RAT?
Do you have an AOL adress? That might cause a problem, if you have another address and would like to use that, please contact me, so I can change it.

Finally, before starting to post, please make sure your real name is in your signature. If you are reluctant about sharing your full name, your first name only will do. Also, please have a look at your profile and add in some information. Hey, if you enter your birthday info, we'll at least be able to congratulate you! Wink

For now, 'nuff reading, welcome again and have fun!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster, Romanarmy.com
Editor, Journal of Ancient Military Studies
Editor, Res Militares
Rules for posting
Privacy on RAT
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
i have that one. its nice. i ground down the spike on the hilt, groved the finger spaces on the handle, nailed the brass work down on the scabbard and thats about it Smile
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]
I will do some work on it when I get it for sure. But I am glad to here it is acceptable.
Kevin Dopke

Marcus Lucilius Severus
Legio XXIV
And hopefully it will be soon!
Kevin Dopke

Marcus Lucilius Severus
Legio XXIV
I recently got one of these gladii to re-work for a client of mine. The blade is nice, and the wooden core of the scabbard is good, but nothing else is either accurate or really all that nice. The guard and pommel appear to be pine or another light-colored softwood and are rather crudely made, the scabbard leather is PAINTED some awful brownish burgandy, the metal furniture isn't even remotely accurate, the buckle on the baldric is a watchband buckle (and a cheap one at that), the leather is stiff, dry and smelly. So for $80 it's a good blade, but needs a lot of work to be remotely close to being authentic. That being said, there aren't any other inexpensive commercially-available gladii that are really so much better. All are half-hearted attempts that require a fair bit of work too, so I say get the cheapest one with a good blade as this is the most important part- the one few can fix for themselves if flawed.
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Any tips for what I can do to make this sucker a little more authentic?

Quote:I recently got one of these gladii to re-work for a client of mine. The blade is nice, and the wooden core of the scabbard is good, but nothing else is either accurate or really all that nice. The guard and pommel appear to be pine or another light-colored softwood and are rather crudely made, the scabbard leather is PAINTED some awful brownish burgandy, the metal furniture isn't even remotely accurate, the buckle on the baldric is a watchband buckle (and a cheap one at that), the leather is stiff, dry and smelly. So for $80 it's a good blade, but needs a lot of work to be remotely close to being authentic. That being said, there aren't any other inexpensive commercially-available gladii that are really so much better. All are half-hearted attempts that require a fair bit of work too, so I say get the cheapest one with a good blade as this is the most important part- the one few can fix for themselves if flawed.
Kevin Dopke

Marcus Lucilius Severus
Legio XXIV

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is this Lorica Segmentata a bad purchase? sillious saurus 13 2,740 07-07-2006, 01:37 PM
Last Post: Magnus