Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
From Marble to Flesh...
Sorry Susanne, I'll do Caracalla next! But here's what I did today:

[Image: YoungAugustus2.jpg]
cool, but I think his hair color was lighter.
--- Marcus F. ---
Quote:Sorry Susanne, I'll do Caracalla next! But here's what I did today:

[Image: YoungAugustus2.jpg]

Confusedhock: Quite remarkable!
Carus Andiae - David Woodall

"The greatest military machine in the history of the universe..."
"What is - the Daleks?"
"No... the Romans!" - Doctor Who: The Pandorica Opens
He was rather nice looking..... :wink: !
I did this Caracalla a while back, Susanne .... don't know why I gave him that colour hair...just suited his image I think!
[Image: Caracalla-the-red.gif]
I am sure Dardanus will bring him to life....!

Quote: PS: Should his eyes be Technicolor instead of two greens?
technicolour..... Confusedhock: hehehehe.....
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
I just did this one, but for some reason his hair wouldn't work....

I think I get the 'painted statue' effect....!
a modified fairer version http://us.a2.yahoofs.com/users/44236d29 ... EBZDQ0e9Eg
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Well, tomorrow I'm off to my three week vacation in Italy (Toscana/Marche region). I'll be raiding a few museums and etruscan tombs for sure. But I promise you more "Marble to Flesh" when I return home.

Talking 'bout Caracalla: He was half Syrian and half Punic, so I reckon he should get a bit darker complexion. If I remember correctly, he was not only fond of the gallic cape that gave his nickname, but used germanic clothing and even a wig of blonde hair to entertain and get support from the germanic legions. So, would you like to see Marcus Aurelius Antoninus with his blonde wig or his original black hair?
Greetings,
Quote:Well, tomorrow I'm off to my three week vacation in Italy (Toscana/Marche region). I'll be raiding a few museums and etruscan tombs for sure.
make sure you don't get caught raiding the museums and tombs.... :wink: :lol:
We look forward to your return and more ancient faces bought to life...
have a great holiday... Big Grin
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
-
Only five years late (due to personal issues), but here it is: Marcus Aurelius Antoninus "Caracalla".

[Image: Caracalla_500.jpg]
Somehow, I never realized how dark this man was. Of course we will never know for certain, but your painting looks more authentic than I had imagined Caracalla.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Now change his clothes into a flashy Las Vegas outfit !

Or else you could go for these blokes:

[Image: demis_roussos_060510020206236_wideweb__300x375.jpg]

[Image: 04_ves_sch_georgebaker.jpg]

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:Somehow, I never realized how dark this man was. Of course we will never know for certain, but your painting looks more authentic than I had imagined Caracalla.

Thank you very much, Jona. Being of syrian (mother), punic (father) and berber african ancestry (grandmother), Caracalla must have had quite dark complexion. To be even more authentic, I should have portrayed him with his golden wig. It would put some extra weirdness to him (in the eyes of a modern man).
This is great! I think Sampsa is on a right track here, usually romans are shown with a too light complexion, think of Vorenus & Pullo for example on the"Rome" series of HBO for example (which was very weak and cheaply sensationalistic in other respects too). Btw, I have a copy of just this bust of Caracalla in my home (a little bigger than life-size)...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]