Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Map for all romans
Some do's and don'ts can be found here: link from old RAT
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Ave!

As I am a gladiator, I wish to put as many Amphitheatres as I can.
Can I do that? Is it what you looking for on the map as well?
I have the Google map pointers for some of them. You will be able to see them from the space. I think they are beautiful. Tongue

Vale!
Collegium Gladiatorium Hungary
aka Gus ztav Gar as
Hi Gusztav,
Yes, you can. Add them as cities & sites. It's a huge category, but we have space Big Grin
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
I have now added more or less everything on the map that I thought I could add. I have sent Jasper my last additions and some corrections, and think that I will leave the project now for some time.

However, you will see that certain parts are left more or less empty: Spain, Britain, Italy, the Balkans, Greece. This is because I know that there are members living over there, who know the places than I do. I have never seen Hadrian's Wall and have never been to Segovia. I can better leave it to others.

So here's an invitation: add the things you have visited! Thanks!
Jona Lendering
My website
Quote: have never seen Hadrian's Wall

i will be at Hadrian's wall over several days..
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
I hope that after your visit, you can add some markers to the map!
Jona Lendering
My website
I am trying to 'fill' Spain slowly. It is difficult, due to the poor image resolution on many areas (Well, I try to strike on the forum... 8) ). Our map will become a magnificent tool but it is a hard added task for Jasper and I'm afraid that it will sonn become rather unwieldy to load... :?

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Not so hard Aitor, but you are right, the Sites & Cities categorie is becoming very unwieldy. The others are still fast though, SO ADD YOUR GROUPS! :twisted:
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
I don't know who added Oudenburg on the Belgic coast, but I'm sure it was not part of the 'Limes Saxonicum'...
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
It is my mistake.

But I do not know what kind of improvement you need - that it should be Litus instead of Limes (which I will correct as soon as Jasper is catching up) or that it did not belong to the anti-Saxon defenses (which I have based on Bechert/Willems, Die römische Reichsgrenze zwischen Mosel und Nordseeküste). If you mean the latter, please explain; I have never visited Oudenburg.
Jona Lendering
My website
Litus would indeed be better than Limes. Big Grin
Oudenburg was maybe once part of a unified Channell command, and it may have been part of the Litore Saxonico in Belgicae II (ND, c. 38).
But for all we know it fell under the sway of the Dux tractus Armoricani et Nervicani, who commanded the continental part of the Channell coast, if that indeed reached as far north as the Belgian coast.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Just a few observations,
To avoid over-burdening, perhaps we should use different symbols for Roman sites and Greek sites and maybe a third one for non-Roman and non-Greek sites...

Jona,
Motya is indeed a fascinating site. A pity that the North gate was under the shadow of a cloud! Sad
Did you avoid to place the marker on the island or did you missed the hit? :?

Jasper,
Could you please add the Veleia housed the 'Cohors Prima gallica' during the late Empire?
I'll try to add more Spanish sites next week. Better if I try to finish my secon review for 'Gladius'... :roll:

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
There's indeed a risk over overburdening. Initially, we had a division between Roman and Non-Roman like the one you propose, but there were too many sites that fell in both categories. So we chose military and non-military, which works not perfect either, but is an improvement.

Further subdivisions something I would not recommend because it can also create double marks. For example, a town can be a civil settlement, can have been the site of a siege, and can have a museum; that means three possible search keys. Many sites now have two markers, several three. I would like to keep it at the current division.

Adding more Spain would be great! (If only because I have fond memories of a holiday, long time ago, in Andalusia.) The silly placement of Legio not near Léon is one of the mistakes we still have to repair; there are more things we have to improve, and Jasper is pretty occupied, so it may take some time.
Jona Lendering
My website
KNOWN ERRORS ON THE MAP

ALGERIJE
- 2 markers refuse to appear

BELGIUM
- Litus would indeed be better than Limes (Oudenburg)

FRANCE
- Amphitheater Carleon (now near Calais) >> Wales.

GERMANY
- Blue: Burginatium, Holsterhausen, Oberaden, Anreppen,
Kneblinghausen, Asciburgium, Gelduba, Dornumagus, Divita, Köln -
Alteburg, Rigomagus, Mainz, Feldberg, Saalburg, Schwäbisch Gmünd
(2x), Boebingen, Rainau

GREECE
- Add Olympia

JORDAN
- Add Petra

LEBANON
- Add Baalbek

LIBYA
- Renew Cyrenaica

NETHERLANDS
- Blue: Velsen, Ermelosche heide, Brittenburg, Praetorium Agrippinae,
Matilo, Albaniana, Nigrum Pullum, Bodegraven, Laurium, Utrecht - L.R.,
Traiectum, Fectio, Levefanum, Mannaricum, Cavo, Grinnes, Driel, Castra
Herculis, Carvium, Aardenburg, Domburg, Walcheren, Goedereede,
Helinio.

SPAIN
- Location of Legio
- Blue: Atxa
- Add Lucentum, in Alicante, Spain
- Add Segovia
- Add Alange
- Could you please add the Veleia housed the 'Cohors Prima gallica'
during the late Empire?

SYRIA
- Location Bosra

TURKEY
- Didyma must move to 37.370959876 / 27.2507328461
- Blue: Battle of Issus, Satala, Amida, Rhesaena
- Add Oenoanda

TUNISIA
- 5 markers refuse to appear

ALSO TO BE ADDED:
Several sites related to Alexander the Great
Jona Lendering
My website
Jona,
I've already passed Jasper the correct coordinates of the Legio fortress' principia, don't worry about that! :wink:
I used the green amphora for Atxa because I understood from Jasper that sites under Legionary fortress size shouldn't be labelled in blue. I have also to find and mark other legionary fortress and a few cohort/ala forts in Spain.
I've been 'flying' over Lugo (Lucus Augusti) and it is fantastic! All the late Roman walls can be followed, tower by tower, and even the only surviving arched tower superstructure is discernable! Confusedhock:
Don't worry about Lucentum and Alange, I'm a northener and I'm 'travelling' from North to South... 8)

Aitor

Rolf Steiner