Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Map for all romans
On the main site there is now a map component where registered and logged-in users can add museums, reenactment groups, roman sites and themselves to a map similar to the Frappr system. The personal category will be made 'registered user-only'. I'd advise everyone to just fill out their city, state & country so the system can place you with regional acccuracy, but no more.

To submit a map item, make sure you are logged into the MAIN SITE (not the same as RAT) and click here.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
OK: I admit that I am too stupid. But how do I log in on the main site? I have used my normal password etc. but are kicked out. And I desperately need to show off my knowledge of Libyan fortresses... :wink:
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
You're not registered at the main site Jona. RAT and Romanarmy.com have different user bases. I may unite the two sometime, but not as yet.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Can I change my entry?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Not for now, but I can. PM me.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Ok. I think I can make it display links too. You can use the 'Miscellaneous' box in 'Submit map item' to add it in as follows:
Code:
<a href="http://urltoyoursite">title of url

e.g.:

<a href="http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=2">Jasper's profile

The example would take you to my rat-profile, which is certainly visible only to logged-in RAT-users. Groups could add a link to their site.

When you have submitted a new item, please have patience! All items have to be approved by me. Moreover, because of the system used, your browser needs to figure out a new item has been added to the map, which will sometimes require some time.

In other words: your marker WILL appear, but perhaps not within 3 minutes.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
17.00 Dutch Time: there appears to be something wrong. Since the new design with the lovely Roman infantryman is there, "loading map" takes eternally. Anyhow, it was nice to try. Thanks Jasper for another interesting addition.

(using Firefox or Explorer)
Jona Lendering
My website
Hi Jona,
The problem is due to the fact that Christy has to test the new template 'live'. It'll come up again, promise. Just needs some ironing.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
I'm not in a hurry. I've prepared about some 100 sites now; I'll see what happens. Enjoy your weekend!
Jona Lendering
My website
Fixed!
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Jasper and Jona, the comments for some cites in North Africa are so large that they can't be read. I have to move the map to the left and right just to read it and close the balloon.

Is there some maximum for these text balloons?

Great job so far, though.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Yes, I have also seen the problem, but I don't know the solution. Marking the line, and slowly drawing the cursor to the right helps. But it's not perfect.
Jona Lendering
My website
No, that box needs to be adapted, but in the meantime, limit your info!
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
How are we supposed to update ourselves on that map? Were would I have to register? direct link please?
[Image: ebusitanus35sz.jpg]

Daniel
Quote:Were would I have to register?
There are two registrations: the one of the forum (which you have probably used) and the one of RomanArmy.Com ([url:60u56q41]http://www.romanarmy.com[/url]), where you will see the form to the left, at the bottom of the page. You will receive an e-mail message to confirm. After that, you have access to the map and can fill in whatever info you want to share.

It takes some time because Jasper needs to check it. Some locations have the nasty habit of appearing on the wrong place on the map.

HOWEVER. At the moment (Saturday morning, European time), Christy appears to be redesigning the pages, and the link to the form has disappeared, no doubt for very good reasons. Better wait for a couple of hours.
Jona Lendering
My website