Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HELP ME!!!! Lorica Lobed Hinges
paul, what are u doing online? dont you have a dozen kits to have finished by the middle of may? get off line and make roman goodies!

hhahah
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a cutting die? I'm always interested in a new, useful tool.

Do you have any pictures?

Quote:...it's definitely my tool of choice other than my new cutting die Big Grin

Matt
>|P. Dominus Antonius|<
Leg XX VV
Tony Dah m

Oderint dum metuant - Cicero
Si vis pacem, para bellum - Vegetius
Basically a stamp. Like they use to make lorica bosses.
Matt J.
Titus Arabius Matho
Legion XI
Well it's basically the same type of tool as hole-punch for paper is- except that instead of a round rod punch and a round hole die, the punch and die are shape of a lobate hinge. Using a powerful hydraulic press it cuts the shape out of sheet metal. It's not a tool you can just go out and buy anywhere- mine's custom-made from the original hinge in my collection.
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Quote:Heres an update. The newer, sawed one is on top. I like it alot more. I shouldnt strive to make it perfect, right? They are both unfinished, They both need filing.

That's pretty much spot-on for the quality of many lorica seg hinges. They do vary quite widely but one thing they all tend to share in common is that holes are punched, not drilled, so usually exhibit some dishing around the hole. Just remember that you never ever find lorica seg as well-made as Robinson's replicas!

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
O

Quote:Well it's basically the same type of tool as hole-punch for paper is- except that instead of a round rod punch and a round hole die, the punch and die are shape of a lobate hinge. Using a powerful hydraulic press it cuts the shape out of sheet metal. It's not a tool you can just go out and buy anywhere- mine's custom-made from the original hinge in my collection.
>|P. Dominus Antonius|<
Leg XX VV
Tony Dah m

Oderint dum metuant - Cicero
Si vis pacem, para bellum - Vegetius

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Inexpensive Die-Cut Lorica segmentata Lobate Hinges availabl Matt Lukes 8 3,561 08-23-2015, 12:42 AM
Last Post: mjursic