Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rectangle scutum in Caesarian times
Thanks for the clarification Matthew. I wasn't exactly sure what Polybius had in mind (as you can tell by my terminology), but I was fairly clear it wasn't a true Oval.
I wonder if you could tell me what the evidence is for the Republican Shields being thicker than later ones? Is it just the problematic passage in Polybius or is there more compelling evidence?

Matthew James Stanham
It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one\'s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)
Well, the Fayum shield is the Republican style, and it's almost a half-inch thick in the middle, thinning to just under 3/8" at the edges, if I remember correctly. The rectangular Dura Europas scutum, 250 AD, is only about 1/4" thick. I have heard that the Doncaster shield was pretty thick, too, though, so it's very possible that the change in height was more significant than any initial change in thickness.

Happy to help! Valete,

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
The relief you are interested in is currently held in the Musée Gallo-Romain de Fourvière, Lyon. It was published by E.Espérandieu, Recueil général des bas-reliefs, statues et bustes de la Gaule romaine, Paris, (1907) I.107 no.130; as well as Robinson, p.77 plate 200. Espérandieu says the relief was found in the vicinity of Glanum (Saint-Remy Provence), but does not venture a date. Robinson, who dates the relief to late 1st century B.C., does not say what this date is based on.
Small colour photos of the relief appeared more recently in N.Rodgers, The Rise and Fall of Rome, (1999) pp.95, 227. Like Robinson he assigns the relief to late 1st century B.C., but without discussion. Rodgers gives his source as the Dagli Orti photographic archive which is accessible on the web to subscribers.
I contacted the curator of the Musée Gallo-Romain de Fourvière ( [email protected] ) back in December 2005 asking for more information but never received a reply. Perhaps one of you might have more luck !
1/4" to 1/2" sounds like the same sort of variation in thickness found in Medieval Wooden Shields. Thanks for the help.

Matthew James Stanham
It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one\'s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)
Patrick,

Can you speak/write in French? I've attempted to contact French institutions in the past, with little response. I'm convinced it's because I can't carry on a fluent conversation in French. Sacre bleu!

Thanks for the publication history and location of that relief.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.redrampant.com">www.redrampant.com

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Caesarian Helmets Titus Labienus 9 4,014 06-20-2011, 01:55 AM
Last Post: Simplex