Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Picture Gallery!
Quote:a lot of the avatars are scans from osprey-books (i think) which we got from several members when RATv2 begon.
On the other hand, some members of RAT make pictures (paint or computer), TNarcher for example, and post them scattered around on RAT. Perhaps 1 gallery for them?

Ave Jeroen,

That's a most sensible solution. Thank you for the suggestion.

I still think that the creation of a central Roman Picture Gallery will become an extremely useful resource for members, rather like the Roman Poems.

I will cease posting any pictures to this Gallery unless I can credit the source, complete with link.

I do hope this meets with the approval of the Forum moderators?

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
[Image: spedius-mcmxliii.gif]
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
North London Wargames Group
Quote:I still think that the creation of a central Roman Picture Gallery will become an extremely useful resource for members
Agree, but a forum is (by the nature of the thing) not the best place for that. Instead, have a look at the main site RAT is part of: http://www.romanarmy.com/cms in fact has several galleries.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:
Quote:I still think that the creation of a central Roman Picture Gallery will become an extremely useful resource for members
Agree, but a forum is (by the nature of the thing) not the best place for that. Instead, have a look at the main site RAT is part of: http://www.romanarmy.com/cms in fact has several galleries.

Ave Jasper,

I am perfectly willing to be guided by you on this subject.

If you say that a Roman Picture Gallery is inappropriate within the Forum, then so be it.

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
It's not so much inappropriate as that a forum is technically not very suited as a gallery. There is, for instance, no thumbnail overview possible. It's doable, just not very user-friendly.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Quote:It's not so much inappropriate as that a forum is technically not very suited as a gallery. There is, for instance, no thumbnail overview possible. It's doable, just not very user-friendly.

Ave Jasper,

Point taken.

Here's a radical idea and a possible solution for the avatar problem.

We have some very talented artists in our midst; why not ask them if they would like to create a set of unique avatars for member's use in this Forum?

The current avatar database contains a collection of 48 alternatives.

The more artists who volunteer the less each artist has to create.

All avatars would be attributed to the artist in a sticky at the top of the Forum. This could be an advert for their talents from which they may subsequently receive commissions.

You could possible reward them for each accepted avatar with a Laudes point or two. Or, perhaps, with a tee-shirt or mug?

Another reward for the artists is the satisfaction of seeing how many of each of their unique avatars are chosen by the members as their "face". There could even be popularity polls!!

What do you think, doable?

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
Certainly, if the artists are willing.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Quote:Certainly, if the artists are willing.

Ave Jasper,

Continuing the theme of the more artistic member's participation in the creation of avatars for the Forum.

Perhaps a special medal could be struck specifically for the artists in recognition of their contributions to Forum improvements?

How about sets of avatars for the Greek section and the females amongst us?

If you like some or maybe even all of the ideas expressed in this and the other post how would you approach the artists with this proposition?

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
Quote:
Jasper Oorthuys:3erb4wte Wrote:It's not so much inappropriate as that a forum is technically not very suited as a gallery. There is, for instance, no thumbnail overview possible. It's doable, just not very user-friendly.

Ave Jasper,
Quote:Point taken.

Here's a radical idea and a possible solution for the avatar problem.

We have some very talented artists in our midst; why not ask them if they would like to create a set of unique avatars for member's use in this Forum?

The current avatar database contains a collection of 48 alternatives.

The more artists who volunteer the less each artist has to create.

All avatars would be attributed to the artist in a sticky at the top of the Forum. This could be an advert for their talents from which they may subsequently receive commissions.

You could possible reward them for each accepted avatar with a Laudes point or two. Or, perhaps, with a tee-shirt or mug?

Another reward for the artists is the satisfaction of seeing how many of each of their unique avatars are chosen by the members as their "face". There could even be popularity polls!!

What do you think, doable?

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo

Brilliant Idea! Big Grin I think it would be great to have customized avatars.
Historia est vitae magistra

<a class="postlink" href="http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii54/AGLopez_Artist/">http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii54/AGLopez_Artist/

<a class="postlink" href="http://albert-g-lopez.deviantart.com/">http://albert-g-lopez.deviantart.com/
Ave Albert,

Thank you for your enthusiatic words of support with regards to the subject of avatars.

I fear that, unless immediate action is taken, this is another idea which dies before it has any chance for life.

This is one of my fortes, dreaming up loads of ideas most of which are, for one reason or another, unworkable. Although, some are not!

It's all a question of sifting through the dross to find the gem.

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
Oh, it IS a fine idea Jim. I'll add it in the next newsletter, see if any artists come forward, ok?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Quote:Oh, it IS a fine idea Jim. I'll add it in the next newsletter, see if any artists come forward, ok?

Ave Jasper,

You sir, are a prince among men.

I feel reassured by your words of comfort, when is the next newsletter due out?

Have you decided what the reward is going to be yet?

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
Quote:when is the next newsletter due out?
Maybe this weekend, depending on when I get round to it.

Quote:Have you decided what the reward is going to be yet?
I'll guess I'll try to be cheap first Wink
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Quote:
Quote:when is the next newsletter due out?
Maybe this weekend, depending on when I get round to it.
Quote:Have you decided what the reward is going to be yet?
I'll guess I'll try to be cheap first Wink

Ave Jasper,

I will watch my e-mail box with interest over the weekend!

When you say, you'll try to be cheap, is this that Dutch thing IIRC you mentioned some time ago?

For Dutch = Scotsmen who are reputed to be financially careful?

So I guess the reward could be either nothing or maybe even a bag of nuts.

Why don't you really let rip and offer awards of second-hand tea-bags?

Do the Dutch drink tea, I must confess that I don't know?

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
Quote:Do the Dutch drink tea, I must confess that I don't know?
They've got coffee houses.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:When you say, you'll try to be cheap, is this that Dutch thing IIRC you mentioned some time ago?

That's indeed the reputation we dutch have.

Quote:So I guess the reward could be either nothing or maybe even a bag of nuts.

no no no, the honour having created an avatar in a reward inself!

Quote:Do the Dutch drink tea, I must confess that I don't know

we also drink tea - i read somewere even more then British!

:wink:
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Roman gallery at the Museum of London mcbishop 6 2,012 08-30-2009, 10:02 PM
Last Post: mcbishop
  BBC Roman Army Gallery mcbishop 4 1,985 10-08-2006, 04:17 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat