Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Picture Gallery!
Ave!

I have on my bookshelves a superb book by Martin Windrow illustrated by Angus McBride entitled "Imperial Rome At War" published by Concord Publications Company in 1996, ISBN 962-361-608-2.

Here is one of the many brilliant illustrations from which some of the avatars used on this Forum originated.

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
[Image: spedius-mcmxliii.gif]
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
North London Wargames Group
Hi Jim,
Please be careful with publishing pictures from books that are recent and/or still in print. You wouldn't want us to be sued, now do you?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:Hi Jim,
Please be careful with publishing pictures from books that are recent and/or still in print. You wouldn't want us to be sued, now do you?

Ave Jasper,

That's the last thing that I would want.

However, I did find this picture and several others on another website a few years ago.

Although, by mentioning the full details of the book, it could be considered free advertising, perhaps?

I'm hoping that others will post superb pictures that they've found or created. A sort of picture gallery.

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo.
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
Created pictures are fine, scanning or downloading them & hosting them on RA.com is not preferred. It's one thing if you took pictures of events or items yourself, but this is still another man's creation to which they have a copyright. That you found it on another site is now invisible - after all, you did not hotlink it - so it looks like you did it and hosted it here.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Looks rather like one of Ronald Embletons paintings to me, rather than Angus's.

Regards,
Quote:Looks rather like one of Ronald Embletons paintings to me, rather than Angus's.

Regards,

It's not Angus' from Imperial Rome at War. You're thinking of a different cavalry painting Jim.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:Created pictures are fine, scanning or downloading them & hosting them on RA.com is not preferred. It's one thing if you took pictures of events or items yourself, but this is still another man's creation to which they have a copyright. That you found it on another site is now invisible - after all, you did not hotlink it - so it looks like you did it and hosted it here.

Ave Jasper,

You are quite right, of course.

If I were able to find the site again and indicate, via a lnk, where a picture came from would that be better?

It seems such a shame that such wonderful pictures should not be displayed here for all to admire, and perhaps inspire them to go out and find the book, as it did for me.

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
Quote:If I were able to find the site again and indicate, via a lnk, where a picture came from would that be better?
That would at least be better than now
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Quote:
Peroni:2t1dyk6t Wrote:Looks rather like one of Ronald Embletons paintings to me, rather than Angus's.
Regards,
It's not Angus' from Imperial Rome at War. You're thinking of a different cavalry painting Jim.

Ave Peroni & Tarbicus,

You are both right, my mistake.

The picture actually comes from another book which I have on my bookshelves written by Frank Graham and superbly illustrated by Ronald Embleton entitled "Hadrian's Wall in the days of the Romans" published by Frank Graham in 1984, reprinted in 1990, ISBN 0-85983-177-9, page 12.

Thank you both for pointing out my error.

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
Quote:
Quote:If I were able to find the site again and indicate, via a lnk, where a picture came from would that be better?
That would at least be better than now

Ave Jasper,

If you look at www.slitherine.com/ and click on the icon for their games "Legion" and "Legion Gold" you will notice that an image, from the book mentioned in the opening post in this thread, is being used as wallpaper.

IIRC this is where I first found and copied the pictures from.

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
Yes, I see. I also see that they have Osprey pics and credit their copyright. They may have done it the proper way, the may not, whatever the case, that is Slitherine's site, not romanarmy.com.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Quote:Yes, I see. I also see that they have Osprey pics and credit their copyright. They may have done it the proper way, the may not, whatever the case, that is Slitherine's site, not romanarmy.com.

Ave Jasper,

I do take your point.

However, as I remarked in my opening post, the avatars used on this Forum and offered to members, in the main, come from the book also mentioned in my opening post.

We have thousands of images in daily use not credited to their source. Is this not a bit like pots and kettles? I can't do this but you can?

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
Jim, you are perfectly correct about that. We have talked about the avatars before and need to come up with a solution for that problem. However, I still maintain that we best not exarcerbate the problem by opening a gallery full of (complete) pictures.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Quote:Jim, you are perfectly correct about that. We have talked about the avatars before and need to come up with a solution for that problem. However, I still maintain that we best not exarcerbate the problem by opening a gallery full of (complete) pictures.

Ave Jasper,

OK, my question, where did the avatar list come from? I've noticed that lots of alternative avatars are offered by the phpbb link at the foot of the page.

Just as a suggestion, why not seek permission?

I feel confident, that if proper acknowledgement were given, they wouldn't object. They might even feel flattered that their work was worthy of such an extraordinary use.

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
a lot of the avatars are scans from osprey-books (i think) which we got from several members when RATv2 begon.

On the other hand, some members of RAT make pictures (paint or computer), TNarcher for example, and post them scattered around on RAT. Perhaps 1 gallery for them?
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Roman gallery at the Museum of London mcbishop 6 2,012 08-30-2009, 10:02 PM
Last Post: mcbishop
  BBC Roman Army Gallery mcbishop 4 1,985 10-08-2006, 04:17 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat