Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Google-ads Poll
Quote:Jasper,
What do you think about creating the 'supporter' figure? For a fixed quantity per year she/he could add a nice medal to her/his posts and perhaps win the right to receive an e-edition of the RAT Conference proceedings... :wink:

Aitor

I like the idea of an e-edition of the conference, wich would also be a nice item to get supported RAT, but I i don't like the idea of medals for supporting. On another forum I've seen somethink like this in the past, and what happened: There became a sort of monarchy between the users that had paiyed and the people with couldn't afford giving money to the forum.

Jurjen
ALA I BATAVORUM
Good point too. We will want to avoid that!
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Jurjen,
But we aren't like that... or are we :?:

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
I was thinking that IF we used that system, there would be only one medal/year for anyone who donated a minimum ($5?) and no gold or oak-leaf versions for higher amounts.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Oh, that would be perfectly OK! Big Grin
Just a small medal. It is not necessary to end with a medal bar like that of a Red Army veteran! :wink:
It is an excellent idea to fix a low minimum amount (maybe not as low as that... :? P

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Quote:Jurjen,
But we aren't like that... or are we :?:

Aitor

Yes, I hope we aren't. But I've seen this before, so I think its good to mention that it COULD BE happen.

Minimum ammount and only one type of medal are OK, if there will be some medal. Ammount could be higher than $5,-- but not much, althrough I thin $ 5,-- is a realy nice amount.

Jurjen
ALA I BATAVORUM
Ok. Christy's designing a medal, that will be awarded to any member who donates $5 or more.
As you can see, the board shows (below who's online) who gave how much. For modesty reasons, we could suppress that. Or everyone could agree to give anonymously, in that case only I and the donor know who gave the donation. A medal can be awarded by request.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Just my personal reflection, for what it is (or is not) worth.

I am a moderator on another forum which focuses on a different historical era. We had this sort of discussion in the past as well.

The idea of letting people contribute money to the forum is a good idea, however there is one caution I would mention. This may not be a problem on this forum, but it was a potential issue on the one I moderate.
If you have members who are rudely outspoken, and they contribute money to the forum they may feel immune to disciplinary actions, or it may cause the staff to fail to be firm with a offensive member if it is discovered that the member contributes financially to the forum.

On the other forum, we also discussed options of charging a fee to vendors who wished to advertise on the forum. The problem with this idea is that it can imply some partiality which may not be beneficial.

I do not mind paying a small fee as a membership fee, in this way it is something everyone does and therefore nobody can be accused of partiality or of picking favorites.
[size=84:2ykzgt0v]Yes, Alas - I really am that pale...[/size]
SPVRIVS
[size=75:2ykzgt0v]aka Sean Foster[/size]
Hi Spurius,
Good points. Thanks. I'm not too worried about those points. For one, we don't have too many thorougly outspoken characters and we hardly have occasion to moderate discussions. That said, it could happen.
That is why Jurjen's suggestion is not too bad: people can just donate anonymously. That way only they themselves and I (which is inevitable) will know. The Golden Aureus only means they gave something, but not what they donated. That way we can hopefully avoid such conflicts of interest.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
That sounds nice to me, Jasper! Big Grin

Aitor

Rolf Steiner
Well, the link for donations is at the top right of the forum and it leads you here! :wink:
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Quote:I do not mind paying a small fee as a membership fee...
...but I prefer that it remain voluntary, so as not to discourage anyone from joining in the celebration of Roman history here at RAT.
Robert Stroud
The New Scriptorium