Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Google-ads Poll
RAT & RA.com currently have no advertising on the site. Say that we were entertaining the idea of adding a small google-ads block somewhere on this site and/or the mainpage, what would your reaction be?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Since you're paying for it from your own pocket, I have no problem with it at all and I think it's only fair. It takes you a lot of time to run an admister the site, and I say good on you if you do.

Besides, I've become very good at ignoring ads anyway :wink:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
As Tarbicus said, who are we to say when you are running this as an out of pocket expense. Ads are a small price to pay to keep the site functioning...I have to have my fix! Confusedhock: :wink:
Hi,
Tarbicus is absolutely right. Moreover, my browser is able to block such things :twisted:
Greetings
Alexandr
You don't have to turn over your finaces (I'm not the IRS :twisted: ) but can you give me an idea how much the running of this site costs you (I'm not talking about time...)
PM me if you wish.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Since you're paying for it from your own pocket, I have no problem with it at all and I think it's only fair. It takes you a lot of time to run an admister the site, and I say good on you if you do.

Besides, I've become very good at ignoring ads anyway :wink:

Concur.
AVETE OMNES
MARIVS TARQVINIVS VRSVS
PATER FAMILIAS DOMVS VRSVM
-Tom
I remember months ago someone flamed me because I use few advs on romanhideout.com. I have many feedbacks that adv annoy a lot, and many people don't visit often my web site due to that.

I think that if you simply add a top banner, none can complain and you will gain some dollars just to maintain the site. Wink
Luca Bonacina
Provincia Cisalpina - Mediolanum
www.cisalpina.net
Quote:I have many feedbacks that adv annoy a lot, and many people don't visit often my web site due to that.
Hi Luca,
You have indeed a great site, but the ads on your site are sometimes very invasive. I'm protected against popups so I miss most of them, but also in the articles some ads can disrupt the presentation..

But I never shunned your site because of them, nor will I ever. Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Who voted 'I've got a better idea'? What is it? Let's hear it!
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Hi Jasper,

I don't have vote "I have another idea." But I want to share another site with the same kund of discussion to you. There this discussion has taken place about 4 years ago, and they have always said. This site is ad-free and still is.

The situation there was like here. One webmaster build a site (that time about modeltrains) with a forum. The Forum became bigger and bigger and bigger, and the hosting cost were to big to fit from one pocket (and unfortenately he lost his job...)

Some active users of the site then have started a "donatie actie" which was repeted every year. By this action everyone wo use the site is asked to save a couple of euro's to the bankaccount of the site. And the choise if an how many is to you. Given nothing, no problem.

In the past we've had one time that there was another user wich has his own bussiness in marketing products. So we've had a year that everyone wo submitted a gift got a nice pin with the logo of the site.

The URL is [url:3mu6jwpd]http://www.beneluxrail.net[/url] by the way.
(you can see the link "jaarlijkse donatie actie" in the mainpage.)

Vale

Jurjen Draaisma
ALA I BATAVORUM
Thanks for the tip Jurjen. I'll have a look.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Ok. Everything's back & fine. Time to enjoy the new server and hope this one will be better than the previous one!
As to the costs, for now I have decided to try and meet the hosting costs purely from the revenues from cafepress and possible sale of subdomains to reenactment groups.
Therefore no advertising, subscriptions fees or whatever, but blank cheques are always welcome! :wink:
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Jasper,
What do you think about creating the 'supporter' figure? For a fixed quantity per year she/he could add a nice medal to her/his posts and perhaps win the right to receive an e-edition of the RAT Conference proceedings... :wink:

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Not a bad idea Aitor. How does everyone else feel?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
I think it's a good idea.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!