Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Segmentata construction
Quote:Yup, I make small detail punches from concrete nails too- I guess great minds think alike, eh Martin?

All the more so when they are both tied to light-weight purses, no? :-) )
:lol: Well there is that too Wink
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
I have an idea that may (not, lol) work. Pre punch the hole and secure it to the die, then wail on it with a rubber mallet. Maybe that will work, i don know.
Matt J.
Titus Arabius Matho
Legion XI
布袋戲又稱作手操傀儡戲、手袋傀儡戲、掌中戲、小籠、指花戏,是一種以木头刻出中空的人頭,再用布料做出身體的服裝,將手套入戲偶的服裝中來表演的布偶戲。布袋戲這樣的稱呼,是因為戲偶身體的部分主要是由布縫製,早期演出的戲台狀似布袋,且戲偶主要是由布袋收納而來。傳統布袋戲的流派與音樂型態密不可分,包括初期泉州地區的配樂使用南管樂,因此又稱作南管布袋戲;漳州地區主要使用潮調,又稱作潮調布袋戲。北管布袋戲約在19世紀、20世紀形成,因為使用北管樂而得名。20世紀後又有結合平劇鑼鼓點所形成的外江布袋戲,和採用歌仔戲唱法的歌仔調布袋戲。

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
Quote:I have an idea that may (not, lol) work. Pre punch the hole and secure it to the die, then wail on it with a rubber mallet. Maybe that will work, i don know.

Sure that'd work, but it's a lot more effort than just whacking the die with a hammer. Using annealed 0.010"-thick brass (0.4mm), you can very cleanly stamp most designs on a medium-weight piece of leather on a hard, solid surface. Of course the leather wears out, but lead is re-usable. Still, if you've got a even small leather scraps around, they're very handy.

Matt
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
yea, that makes sense. It was just an idea.
Matt J.
Titus Arabius Matho
Legion XI
Those are pretty important when it comes to making stuff like this- since we have no one to teach us how it was 'really done'.
Does anyone have a small amount of rivets, I need about 50 flat head brass and 100 domed head brass to finish my lorica and I cant buy 2 pounds of rivets. Thanks guys, ill post New pics soon.
Matt J.
Titus Arabius Matho
Legion XI
Quote:Well while there is something definitely to be said for imperfections in reproduction gear, it's important to remember that a lot was made by professional armorers, so crude and excessive mixing of styles, materials, etc. is just as inappropriate as perfection. I'm quite surprised at how nicely-made some of the fittings in my collection are given that they had to have been made in the tens of thousands.

Then there has to be a better / faster way to do these hinges. I'm done with mine but if they did it by the thousands they didn't have a thousand guys with jewelers saws sitting down making these all day... or did they?
Matt J.
Titus Arabius Matho
Legion XI
Well many real ones show signs of having been cut with chisels- but for that you need to make your own tool steel chisels; that's easy for flat ones, but the curved ones require hot forging...
I'm going to hop in here just because i think it's funny to throw another Matt into the mix.

I've used .032" brass on some fittings before...worked fine. Though I am not sure if it was for lacing loops. But when I originally made my loops (and I still have'em), I used thinner brass, about 0.015" which I folded the loop part to give it extra thickness. Mind you, my loops look like junk.

For boxes of 100 rivets, try www.spaenaur.com . I'm not a business, but i have an account with them, and their prices are pretty good. They have steel, brass and copper rivets, in both large, small domes, and flat headed.

Also, my girdle plate ends also have that stair effect. But once it's laced up, it doesn't matter, so long as it fits and you don't have any "gaps in the armour". You can trim them up a bit anyay.

Legion: TBD
Dude! Love the avatar. I just bought the 3-Disc, hilarious!
Matt J.
Titus Arabius Matho
Legion XI

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lorica segmentata construction help 9thlegion 4 1,773 03-03-2018, 02:53 AM
Last Post: A_Volpe
  Lorica segmentata construction Achillea Narcissa Octavia 5 2,001 09-13-2014, 09:41 PM
Last Post: Caratacus
  Lorica segmentata construction PDF (Alex Matras) Tarbicus 2 1,767 03-15-2013, 05:05 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs