Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lexicon of Greek Personal Names
Khairete,
I just found this site, which has some interesting information and archive photos...
What do you think Stefanos?
[url:33cep4sf]http://www.lgpn.ox.ac.uk/index.html[/url]
AlexandroV Filippou or AlexandroV FilippeioV
Incidentially, does Alexandros mean the Defender of Andros, as in the island, or defender of men?
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Very interesting, I thought put alexners middle name like Leonides, son of Lion! like Leonidas! Big Grin

the lion of the movie Madagascar also is called Alex! Confusedhock:

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
Quote:Khairete,
I just found this site, which has some interesting information and archive photos...
What do you think Stefanos?
[url:1uwm4kve]http://www.lgpn.ox.ac.uk/index.html[/url]
AlexandroV Filippou or AlexandroV FilippeioV
Incidentially, does Alexandros mean the Defender of Andros, as in the island, or defender of men?
regards
Arthes

Alexios=Protector
ALEXANDROS= PROTECTOR OF MEN

Keep in mind that our sources come from munuments or oficial inscriptions.

Official inscription or official verbal presentation of ones self was:

"NAME" O (Greek male article) "Fathers NAME" in Genetive case.

Homer calls people with refernce to fathers name correct!
Zeus son of Kronos becomes KRONIDIS
Achiles son of Pileus becomes PILIDIS
Aias son of Telamon becomes TELAMONIADIS

Spartans used the ending IDAS so Leonidas is son of the lion Lykidas is son of the wolf.

If Alkibiades wanted to present himself officially he would say
ALKIBIADES KLEINIOY ALKEMONIDIS (Alekmeonidae was the family)
Family names were rarely used but they existed.

In my opinion the site's owner has done good job but he doesnt go into full detail in the meaning of the names. (i.e. NIKOLEON= victorious lion)
Kind regards
Thanks Stefan for adding that!

I want to put to my son Alexander in Greek, but since we live in Amerika, my wife wanted Alexandros in English, anyway he got my name as a middlename that is like italian but nobody would know that at least they asked him! :roll: ....

Yes in Pelopenessos, is idis or adis (son of) the islands are like akkis...

Still dont know the term Poulos like " Stefano-poulos)

BTW: Stefan, this is my name in Greek, the short & the large have the iadis+ son of, how I can spell in english lettles of the alfabet, oops! Latin?

Ιωηλ = Ιωηλιαδης

Gioi

Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
As for surnames:

-OPOYLOS appears after 10th century A.D in Byzantine texts for the first time. -AKIS exist in Crete and south Dodekanesse

If your father was Ιωηλ then in Geometric Era you would be
Gioi Ιωηλιαδης, in classic time formaly Gioi O Ιωηλ (foreign names dont change ending). Ιωηλ is not a Greek name.

Kind regards
Quote:As for surnames:

-OPOYLOS appears after 10th century A.D in Byzantine texts for the first time. -AKIS exist in Crete and south Dodekanesse

If your father was Ιωηλ then in Geometric Era you would be
Gioi Ιωηλιαδης, in classic time formaly Gioi O Ιωηλ (foreign names dont change ending). Ιωηλ is not a Greek name.

Kind regards

Cool!, & thank you Smile ...

Quote: Ιωηλ is not a Greek name.

Kind regards

You are right , Ιωηλ its not a Greek name, but Christian or Hebrew, in Byzantine times like the Hebrew names: Pavlos, Isaak & Emmanouil( Emanuel- Komninos), Matheo, Thomas etc!

Stefanos: your name is not Greek also, is Christian/Hebrew.

Yes I got my Christian name because my parents religion.
Oh! then my family started using germanic names, like: Louisi(Luis)
But some still Greek, like: it has to do with archery=Toribios( bow maker or arrow maker?); Ploutarka (female); Hipolito -ou....

extra karma 4 you Phili! :wink: [/b]

Torvios I must search.

PLOUTARCI or PLOUTARCHA exists as a female name-means "rich rinciples"

HIPPOLYTI or HIPPOLYTO was amazon queen and literly means "loose mear".

Kind regards
Nice find, Arthes!
[size=75:wtt9v943]Susanne Arvidsson

I have not spent months gathering Hoplites from the four corners of the earth just to let
some Swedish pancake in a purloined panoply lop their lower limbs off!
- Paul Allen, Thespian
[/size]

[Image: partofE448.jpg]
Ok now for those here that are re-enactors you do not use your real names for such events do you?

I am assuming that you dont. So how did each arrive at your names what sources did you use to com to it?
I use mine. It means crown and it is as old as Greece itself.
Kind regards
Actually Alexandros doesnt mean ''protector of men'' but repeller of men, or ''the one that can not be harmed by men.

ΑΛΕΞΩ means repel, proof + ANΔΡΑΣ, man

We dont use that word today but it exists in composite words as ΑΛΕΞΙΣΦΑΙΡΟΣ= bulletproof

OPOYLOS is related with pelloponesos and means son of, the famous Papadopoulos name actually means son of the priest. Its very common cause in all pelloponesos there were hundrends sons of priests Big Grin . In every region there is a distinctive ending in the name that permits people to understand where you come from. My name ends in -akis so everybody knows i come from Crete.
-AKIS is a characteristic ending of Cretan names. The story behind it is that Turks trying to boost the moral of the troops tryed to present the fierce warlike Cretans as small. Aki is an ending applied to things we wanna describe as small or cute for example AYTOKINHTO is car and AYTOKINHTAKI is little car. So the akis ending was enforced to the population under Turkish occupation. In the mountainous villages that were never occupied by Turks the people dont have that ending in their name.
aka Yannis
----------------
Molon lave
IF You Like To Know, I know that yes!!! :wink: :

We, the Maniots... got more troubles... Our surnames were changed to sound like the loca settlement. Those Maniots with Cretan surnames were changed from Akis to Acci or Achi.. Opoulos to Poli, Pole, ble. etc. Komnenos to Komnene etc.

And even so more when moved to Spain & Amerika, my family adopted a Spanish surname.. like about 4 generations ago, my other family didnt had much issue than mine... but oh well....

PS: I guess Angel got a similar issue with their Surname... I guess his family changed to sound more Amerikan, & mine to sound more Spanish...

Well The house of The Komnenos had moved to Spanish & latin countries since before the destruction of Konstantinople... I think today, the branches of the Komnenoi family in a great % are Spanish & sub-spanish( hispanic) descent. The Oldest one I know is the branch of Alvarez of Toledo, lived there since 1088 AD till today of diferent house, the later one from Anatolia(Pontos), had moved a little bit later & even more resent. some are tied to Spanish aristocracy since earlier & today other branch are becoming very powerful in Amerika but the house is in Spain.

The major % of my family that still have the Komnene surname live in France not in Corsica today in case you want to visit Corsica.

My avatar has my mom & father arms, my father always married women of noble descent exept the last one before he die.

To answer your question, Larry, I took a name, Pollis, that sounds like my own, from the inscription of a grave stele, in honour of "the brave soldier Pollis, who died of the wounds of the tattooers (Thracians?)". Even so, I may change it, as the stele wasn't from Thespiae and I'd really like to take the name of an historic Thespian. Any suggestions, anyone?
Easy Paul: [Edited} Hpl 14 better ansewer.

Easiest Paul: Demophilos the bravest of all 700 in Thermopylae.
Mentioned by Herodotos

It also translates as "Popular"

Kind regards

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Appropriate Greek Names Harrisonfletch 2 1,003 05-06-2020, 01:23 PM
Last Post: Harrisonfletch
  Greek names - did they REALLY mean that? Anatol Wyss 2 1,112 12-07-2019, 11:55 AM
Last Post: Anatol Wyss
  Greek writings of Celtic names... Folkert van Wijk 16 5,359 05-17-2008, 10:41 PM
Last Post: Folkert van Wijk