Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Google Earth Roman sites
There was a news article a while back about a fellow who I seem to remember found a Roman site by examining Google Earth satellite photos. Does anyone have the coordinates of that site? Google photos vary considerably, but I was wondering if anyone had made a list of coordinates? This might be a good sub-forum topic as well.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Downlow it here:
http://earth.google.com/download-earth.html

It is good to study historical battle distance etc.

I saw my beloved corsica with more detail!

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
So far I've found three sites in reasonable detail. The images from Google earth vary considerably. If you look along Hadrian's Wall you'll not see much until you get close to Newcastle, and then the images sharpen dramatically. Does the Wall go north or south of Newcastle airport?
The image of South Shields is pretty good.
Latitude 55° 0'15.77"N, Longitude 1°25'59.62"W
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
Hi,
not far away to the west from South Shields (Arbeia) you can see Wallsend (Segedunum):
Latitude 54° 59'16.37"N, Longitude 1°31'56.44"W
So, any other reasonably visible Roman sites?
Greetings
Alexandr
I've found a few, but I guess you can't just put the google earth file into the post. Maybe a free file area so we can collect the files which I think are all less than 500bytes.
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
Rich, if they're smaller than 500bytes (or did you mean Kbytes), it ought to fit.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:So far I've found three sites in reasonable detail. The images from Google earth vary considerably. If you look along Hadrian's Wall you'll not see much until you get close to Newcastle, and then the images sharpen dramatically. Does the Wall go north or south of Newcastle airport?

South - it basically follows the route of the B6318 Military Road (built by General Wade aftrer the '45) all the way from Sewingshields to the outskirts of Newcastle.

What is needed here is a little bit of Magic the UK government's online rural GIS system (Multi Agency Geographic Information for the Countryside). Mainly agricultural, you can however configure it to show scheduled ancient monuments and world heritage sites (Hadrian's Wall is both of these, but the WHS zone is much larger than the SAM; the latter enjoys statutory protection, the former doesn't necessarily).

Use the List of Layers button to removed all layers except Scheduled Monuments and World Hertiage Sites and Bob's your uncle...

The mapping is large-scale Ordnance Survey coverage for virtually the whole of the UK (not checked to see if Rockall is included;-).

Mike Bishop

PS I take it everybody knows about the flying Avro Lancaster captured by Google Earth and the dirt replica of the Bismarck at White Sands? All life is there...
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Not to mention the flying car and all the black helicopters.

Jasper, the .KZM files seem to be 420 to 450 bytes. I used the 'Add an Attachment' function, but don't see the file.

Just to see if I have it right, these coordinates seem to show a double ditch running alongside a road. Is this likely?
Lat 54°59'45.86"N
Long 1°44'47.82"W
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
Ahh! Well, for security reasons, the system won't accept other extensions. But I could add .kzm as 'ok'.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Quote:PS I take it everybody knows about the flying Avro Lancaster captured by Google Earth and the dirt replica of the Bismarck at White Sands? All life is there...

Nope.

Quote:Not to mention the flying car and all the black helicopters.

No, not them either.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Rich, I'll go you one better. If there are sufficient interesting sites to find, I can add a Googleearth Component to the main site.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Remember that there was a fellow who found some site (can't remember if Roman or Greek) in Italy using Google Earth, so there is some validity I think for RAT to start poking around. At least allow the file extension so we can add that.
What would the component add-in be like?
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
Hi Jasper,
I don't know, what you mean by "sufficient interesting sites" Smile but unfortunately I haven't been able to find many Roman military sites, which are visible in detail.
By the way, could this: Latitudine 41°54'26.97"N; Longitudine 12°30'24.71"E be the site of castra praetoria? I have never been to Rome :oops: so I don't know. When I'm looking at my map of imperial Rome, I'd say it is the praetorian camp, but I'm not sure.
Greetings
Alexandr
Since I'm working on a 56k at home, my only experience with Google Earth has been in the computer labs at my school. With that being said, I do have experience with imagery analysis, and offer this for identifying and viewing sites.

The United States Geographic Survey has a site where they distribute their spatial data, including infrared aerial photography (called digital orthographic quadrangles, or DOQs.) Often, if taken at the right time of year, historical roads, sites and trenches, which have disappeared over time, come out crystal clear in this infrared photography (this method was used to find the actual extent of the siege works at Alesia.) If European countries offer this same data free, it would be easy to view sites better than with Google Earth. I don't know of a possible source, and know that some countries actually charge for this data, but if someone finds such a place, please post it here. If the images can be found, they can be viewed in their multispectral state (and the various bands can be recombined to achieve an ideal effect) using Leica Geosystem's ERDAS ViewFinder 2.1. I tried finding a link for the program, but it appears that Leica has taken it down; if someone finds it elsewhere, perhaps he could post it here as well.

If you want to try some of the USGS' data, and can find a program to project it, the website is seamless.usgs.gov

-Matt
-Matt

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."
- General George S. Patton, Jr
Greetings,
I know that somebody else is using it to identify a possible Roman site up here in Northern Britain.
We were given the co-ordinates of that, but unless you know exactly what to look for, or where, at time it can be rather difficult to pinpoint possible sites.
I have not been able to use it for a few weeks while using a temporary gfx card. Will do that later this evening.....
Richsc, this is the article about the Roman site found......[url:2ei2qsqp]http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4267238.stm[/url]
'Magic' looks rather interesting.....just playing with it Big Grin
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman sites in the Cotswolds Purplest 9 4,163 08-01-2016, 06:14 PM
Last Post: Purplest
  The value of using Google Earth ValentinianVictrix 4 1,745 03-05-2012, 01:33 AM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius
  Roman sites along the Danube Jona Lendering 28 7,250 06-29-2011, 12:19 PM
Last Post: Arahne