Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Late Roman Helmet from the Fernpass, Austria
Oh that one! What a surprise, it was a fake :wink: !
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Aaah, many thanks Robert, I missed that one! :lol:
Laus for you! 8)

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Bah, what a piece of faeces Confusedhock:
Florian Himmler (not related!)
Quote:Bah, what a piece of faeces Confusedhock:
No doubt, but a piece of faeces that actually was paid EUR 1,137.00 for !!!! Confusedhock: Confusedhock:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Great read. I love Late Roman Helmets.

Thanks for the great pics.
Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]
Robert,
Bury your Deepeeka Deurne in your garden after having banged it several times against the side-walk border... Tongue
You could finance some nice toys for the Fectienses that way :lol:

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Quote:Bury your Deepeeka Deurne in your garden after having banged it several times against the side-walk border... Tongue

Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock:
[size=200:3ls8vw4k]NOOOOOOOOOOOO[/size][size=150:3ls8vw4k]OOOOOOOOOOOO[/size]
[size=100:3ls8vw4k]OOOOOOOOO[/size][size=75:3ls8vw4k]OOOOOOOOOO[/size]
[size=59:3ls8vw4k]OOOOOOOOOO[/size]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:Bury your Deepeeka Deurne in your garden after having banged it several times against the side-walk border...

For getting money? Not for a fit of temper?

I'm beginning to think to kill so my Deepeka Deurne, since it's so different from the original...

Valete,
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
Quote:No doubt, but a piece of faeces that actually was paid EUR 1,137.00 for !!!!

Reminds me of a story I once heard about a shoemaker who made such good reconstructions of medieval shoes, that a cunning customer once bought a pair, buried them for a couple of years in wet earth, and then sold them as a sensational find on ebay :evil:
Florian Himmler (not related!)
The solid object shown at the back of the helm looks more like the remnants of the brow band, that would have extended to that level all the way around, to where the nasal is held. Not the neck guard.
Stuart Davies
Quote:the remnants of the brow band

You mean the base ring? I doubt it, it looks way too broad for that. On the other hand, nothing on this helmet is normal...

WM, please add your real name (and remember I can check that with Steve! Big Grin ) to you signature. Forum rule.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
It does indeed look pretty wide, but, look at the nasal, there's some kind of zoomorphic arm or some sort of projection coming out the top of it on its left hand side, that reaches up to, and touches the ridge, so presumably that is the position of the nasal, thus the nasal is not connected to anything, so whatever it was connected to is gone, if you look at the bottom of the eyebrow piece, it looks to extend down to about the same level as the supposed "neck guard" so it looks to me, like that projection at the back went all the way around and was where the nasal piece was fixed to, would also explain why theres no trace of hinge fittings on the side, because the holes where they fixed into (ie on the brow band) aren't there.)
Stuart Davies
I am not telling that you aren't right about this one, Stuart, but base rings or brow bands are usually attached to the bowl halves by the inside :?
On the other hand, it is curious that only the portion corresponding to the neck-guard wpuld have survived...

Aitor

Rolf Steiner
Quote:I am not telling that you aren't right about this one, Stuart, but base rings or brow bands are usually attached to the bowl halves by the inside :?

aren't late roman ridge helms usually constructed in two halves?

This one isn't, so it doesn't appear to be an average helm where average rule of thumbs apply.

You just have to look at the nasal, there is a huge gap between the eye pieces, and what exists of the helm, this had to be riveted on to something solid, it wasn't just hanging there, so whatever the case, the brow band was atleast that deep, to cover the gap from the bottom of the bowl, to the bottom of the eye guard. This appears to be the exact same depth of remaining material at the back, so it couldn't serve as a neck guard, because it wouldn't protrude from the brow band, because the brow band had to be atleast that depth.
Stuart Davies
You're certainly right that this is an oddity. Also strange is that the report speaks of a mail aventail as neck guard, not a plate as seems to be indicated by the pictures.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christies Late Roman helmet: 1 or 2? Robert Vermaat 96 24,444 09-21-2018, 11:22 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Late Roman Centurion Helmet Connor Augustus 3 1,838 12-22-2014, 10:00 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Whereabouts of Late Roman ex-Guttmann helmet? aitor iriarte 20 5,116 07-27-2013, 04:51 AM
Last Post: markusaurelius