Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Late Roman Helmet from the Fernpass, Austria
It´s been a year to the day that we last discussed the Fernpass helmet, found near Biberwier in Tirol, Austria.

Sadly, nothing new has come forward, but I managed to find new images in old newspaper articles. Each opiucture can shed a bit more light on this strange helmet.

Image 1
This ianage shows the very broad nasal, but also the strange neck guard. newspaper articles claim that the neck protection was made from mail, which makes this reconstruction (the helmet was found in 2004) even more strange.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Image 2
Another view of thwe neck guard, which is so straight that a) it might be misunderstood or b) it reminds me of the Deir el medineh helmet. Report claim that the cheek guards were also attached by hinges.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Image 3

So far the only picture of the cheek guards! The seem made from riveted plates.. The curves remind me of a 3rd c. helmet! Confusedhock:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Many thanks, Robert! Big Grin

And I thought that the Iatrus helmet was the strangest late Helmet I had ever seen... Confusedhock:

BTW, The other Deir-El Medineh like iron helmet, unprovenanced and for sale, was finally a fake?

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Hey, isn`t the nose quard too big!! Just kidding, the variation (due to the rude barbarian copying?) must have been once again bigger than we have thought :wink: ...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Wow, this thread is interesting! Thanks for reviving it.
Eric

Brush-Popper extraordinaire
Quote:BTW, The other Deir-El Medineh like iron helmet, unprovenanced and for sale, was finally a fake?

Aitor

have i missed one .... which helmet was this please ?
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
That one is amazing!!! Is there any more info about it yet?
Doug Strong
[url:xl2j37u3]http://talbotsfineaccessories.com/[/url]
[url:xl2j37u3]http://www.armourresearchsociety.org/[/url]
Nope, nothing.
The helmet is supposedly kept at the Institut für Archäologie der Universität Innsbruck. maybe one of our german member could send a friendly email in German?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Conal,

I was meaning this one:

[Image: D4617487x.jpg]

Aitor 8)
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
This has been exposed as a fake ????? .... Nooooooooo Cry
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Was this Christies helmet really a fake, information please!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
No, no, no, I'm not meaning that. Confusedhock:
After I returned to RAT after my long 'summer holidays' I just read somewhere here that certain late helmet was a fake :? I just want to know which one it was...

Aitor

Rolf Steiner
Ok, thanks Aitor! To tell you the truth it would be a disappointment if this Christies helmet turns out to be a hoax :wink: !
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Quote:No, no, no, I'm not meaning that. Confusedhock:
After I returned to RAT after my long 'summer holidays' I just read somewhere here that certain late helmet was a fake :? I just want to know which one it was...
THIS one:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v698/ ... le0166.jpg
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christies Late Roman helmet: 1 or 2? Robert Vermaat 96 24,443 09-21-2018, 11:22 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Late Roman Centurion Helmet Connor Augustus 3 1,837 12-22-2014, 10:00 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Whereabouts of Late Roman ex-Guttmann helmet? aitor iriarte 20 5,115 07-27-2013, 04:51 AM
Last Post: markusaurelius