Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late Roman Timeline 250-550 AD
Quote:1. Valerian was most likely proclaimed by the troops in Raetia, not in Gaul. (he was the legate of Raetia, so the proclamation took place either at Augsburg, Regensburg - or another place in this province)

Aurelius Victor, De Caesaribus, XXXII, 1: "Meanwhile, the soldiers, gathered from everywhere, were delayed in Raetia because of forthcoming winter and handed power to Licinius Valerian."

Victor tells clear that Valerian was proclaimed emperor in Raetia.

Eutropius, Breviarium, IX, 7: "Licinius Valerian, who was then employed in Rhaetia and Noricum, was next made general [imperator] by the army, and soon after emperor [Augustus]."

Eutropius doesn`t name the exact place of proclamation, but most likely he means Rhaetia.

Orosius, History, VII, 22, 1: "In 1010 from the foundation of the City there were made emperors who took 27th place after Augustus: in Raetia the troops named Valerian Augustus and in Rome the Senate proclaimed Gallienus Caesar."

According to Orosius it`s Raetia.

Any other sources?
a.k.a. Yuriy Mitin
Hi Philhellene (you still need to enter your real name in your signature!),

Thanks, that saved me the work of looking it up - Raetia it is!
Meanwhile, a few short questions about your emperor list (this is from my work, no sources at hand Cry ):

253 - I did not find Aurelius Sulpicius Severus Uranius Antoninus on your list, apparently he was a short-lived usurper during the year 253 in Syria.

297/298 - Aurelius Achilleus; was he actually an emperor?

372-5 - I did not find Firmus on your list, apparently this Moorish prince claimed the title of emperor due to court intrigues by the comes Africae Romanus.

395 - You have Honorius as emperor from 395, but he was already an Augustus by 393 (at age 9).

409/410â€â€Â
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:395 - You have Honorius as emperor from 395, but he was already an Augustus by 393 (at age 9).

You`re right, my fault.

[quote]455â€â€Â
a.k.a. Yuriy Mitin
Philhellene\\n[quote]Vortigern Studies\\n[quote]455â€â€Â
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:Herennius Etruscus

You`re right it`s better to call him just Etruscus like Aurelius Victor called him in XXIX, 1 or Decius II and Trajan Decius must be just Decius I.

Quote:Iulius Valens Licinianus

There were a lot of emperors with the same name.

Quote:Titus Julius Priscus

He should be just Priscus.
a.k.a. Yuriy Mitin
Quote:297/298 - Aurelius Achilleus; was he actually an emperor?

Aurelius Victror (XXXIX, 23) tells that Achilleus misappropriated the signs of power "in Egypt, near Alexandria", the author of Epitome of "De Caesaribus" tells that he was proclaimed emperor in Egypt (XXXIX, 3), then Eutropius says that he revolted in Egypt (IX, 22, 1), Orosius wrote that he was a brigand in Egypt (VII, 25, 4), and Jordanes wrote that Diocletian defeated him in Alexandria (21). So two of them (Aurelius Victror and author of "Epitome") called him emperor.

And he must be "Achilleus". 8)

Quote:253 - I did not find Aurelius Sulpicius Severus Uranius Antoninus on your list, apparently he was a short-lived usurper during the year 253 in Syria.

He is here (between Elagabalus and Severus Alexander)

between 218 and 235 and/or 253/254 Uranius/Uranius Antoninus

Polemius Silvius says that Uranius was an usurper under Elagabalus (Chronica minora, I, p. 521 ed. Mommsen), Zosimus tells that dissatisfied soldiers dressed Uranius in purple under Severus Alexander (I, 12). George Syncellus says that Uranius was killed by Alexander (674 ed. Mosshammer). And your Lucius Julius Aurelius Sulpicius Severus Uranius Antoninus is known from coins from Emesa. John Malalas (296-297 ed. Dindorf) tells about activity of one Emesian priest in 253/4 and historians think that probably it was your Lucius ... Uranius Antoninus. Moreover Zosimus writes that Antoninus (Uranius?), Cecrops, a Moor, and Aureolus organized a conspiracy against Gallienus ( I, 38 ). So it can be several usurpers under the name Uranius, it can be one man, who revolted several times...

[quote]409/410â€â€Â
a.k.a. Yuriy Mitin
I found new emperor - Marcus, son of Basiliscus.

Evagrius, Church history, III, 5 (= Zacharias Rhetor, Church history, V, 3): "...and also that a written petition was addressed to Basiliscus by the Asiatic bishops, assembled at Ephesus, a part of which is couched in the following terms : "To our entirely pious and Christ-loving lords, Basiliscus and Marcus, ever victorious emperors (Augusti)."

Evagrius, Church history, III, 7: "We, the emperors, Caesars, Basiliscus and Marcus..." (In Zacharias V, 2: "The king Basiliscus, the believing, victorious, all-virtuous ruler, Augustus, along with Marcus the most illustrious Caesar")

Candidus the Isaurian, History (apud Photius, Bibl., cod. 79): "Basiliscus before this had declared his son Marcus Caesar and afterwards emperor."

But I didn`t find the dates of Marcus` reign... Maybe you`ll help me.

There is his biography in www.roman-emperors.org - Marcus Caesar

Marcus was the son of Basiliscus and Zenonis. He was acclaimed Caesar in 475 and later promoted to Augustus. Coins were issued in his and Leo II's names. When Zeno reoccupied Constantinople in late August 476, Marcus, with his parents, took refuge in a church. Zeno promised not to execute them, so he exiled them to Limnae in Cappadocia and subsequently starved them to death.
a.k.a. Yuriy Mitin
Quote:But I didn`t find the dates of Marcus` reign... Maybe you`ll help me.

According to Demandt, Basiliskos' accession was on January 12, 474 AD. When exactly he elevated his son to Augustus is not known, but it must have been somewhere between his accession date and his downfall in September 476, when he fled into a church. After his downfall he was executed with his family, including Marcus.
Since his troubles accumulated during the later part of those two short years, my assumption would be a rule of Marcus between 474 (Spring) and 476 (Fall).
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
By the way, Candidus (apud Photius, Bibl., cod. 79) and Malchus (apud De leg. gent. p. 93, 94, ed. Par.) call the last roman emperor (your Romulus) just Augustus (or Augustulus).

Quote:Hi Philhellene (you still need to enter your real name in your signature!)...

I can`t add tat. I wrote the signature, I made it enable, but it doesn`t work.
a.k.a. Yuriy Mitin
Open your profile. Once in, press your profile button (on top), then press profile settings (left side, below), then press reading, then (right side) see Display signatures, and enter YES. Then submit.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:By the way, Candidus (apud Photius, Bibl., cod. 79) and Malchus (apud De leg. gent. p. 93, 94, ed. Par.) call the last roman emperor (your Romulus) just Augustus (or Augustulus).

I've found that many names are used differently by different sources. I chose to use the best known (if correct), and also the English forms (Julian instead of Julianus).
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:Open your profile. Once in, press your profile button (on top), then press profile settings (left side, below), then press reading, then (right side) see Display signatures, and enter YES. Then submit.

I did it and I wrote the signature. But I didn`t notice "Attach signature (signatures can be changed in profile)" among the "Options".
a.k.a. Yuriy Mitin
It works now Yuri.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Armour timeline QVINTVS ARTORIVS CORVINVS 12 4,363 04-26-2008, 01:34 PM
Last Post: QVINTVS ARTORIVS CORVINVS