Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hadrian\'s Wall March
Avete!

Posting this on behalf of Robert Garbisch, Legio X Fretensis in California. Seems he needs a few more people to sign up to make this trip happen. Contact him directly for any details, [email protected] .

Valete,

Matthew
----------------------

Attentus!

This general invitation is going out to various Roman Legions located here in the USA. Please feel welcome to help distribute this invitation to anyone or any other Roman group that you feel would be interested in joining us for a historical "first" Roman March in full kit along the entire length of Hadrian's Wall. Apparently this great adventure has yet to be done in our modern 21st century time.

I am currently looking for 4 more dedicated and loyal Roman Legionaries to join us for this duty of serving Rome.

Nigel Cole, of catswhiskers tours will be our guide and Quarter Master for this journey in time. Please check out his web site at http://www.catswhiskerstours.co.uk/roman.asp . Here you will be instructed in how you can make your $250 deposit to insure your assigned place on the duty roster. This payment and future payments of $500 per month for February, March, and April can be easily made by using your credit card. A final payment in May will be determined by how many are actually going and the total cost to finance this great Roman adventure.

Efforts are being made to minimize the cost of this adventure. The more men we can enlist, up to a maximum of 10 Legionaries, the lower the cost for all of us. The limit of 10 was set due to the limited size of our transportation wagon, the available size of period lodging at the South Shield's Roman Fort, and our own personal group impact affect upon the Hadrian's Wall Trail.

You can either make effective use of using his travel tour services for your airfare or arrange for your own airfare.

If you have any questions about this Roman March Adventure, please feel welcome to send your questions to me.
Robert W. Garbisch (Centurio Marcus ~ Legio X Fretensis ~ Cohors IV) at the e-mail address posted above.

Multas Gratias! ~ Firmitas et Honorare!

Robert / Centurio Marcus

----- Original Message -----

Cc: nigel cole <mailto:[email protected]>
Sent: Monday, January 02, 2006 8:33 PM
Subject: Roman March @ Hadrian's Wall

Attentus!

I am giving all of you a "heads up" advance invitation to join me on a great, once in a lifetime, Roman March adventure along Hadrian's Wall, now scheduled for June 20th to June 30th. Four members of LXF have already expressed a great interest in going on this special march. This is myself, Niki Romani, Jeff Lutz, and Benjamin Blankenship.

I have enlisted the tour guide services of Nigel Cole. He will be our transportation back up and Quarter Master for this adventure assignment. We are trying to provide authentic Roman meals for this march. There will be some nights where we will be camping on arms at a campground, or somewhere along the Wall. Efforts are also being made to enlist the aid of some of the local Roman units stationed along the Wall. Hopefully we will be able to spend a night or two camping with them. They may even join us for marching along parts of this long route. Apparently, this type of an Roman adventure has yet to be done. So we will be making history here as the first Roman Legion to ever attempt this type of a Roman March along the entire length of Hadrian's Wall.

Local scholars are expressing great interest in our proposed march. There is also potential interest from the local news media along our route. Nigel also proposed filming our adventure with the prospect of selling it to the History Channel or BBC, which if accepted, could help fund this adventure.

This special invitation is presently going to only our LXF members and Gaesatae allies. There will be a 10 person limit. This is necessary due to the transportation limit of Nigel's vehicle and available tents. Plus a limit on the available rooms at the Roman Fort located at South Shield, which is located on the far Eastern Coast of England. This is the proposed schedule for our Roman March. Our final stop for each night will be determined by Nigel as he conducts a more detailed check of our route for meeting our camping and lodging needs.

June 19th - Monday = Depart from your chosen airport.

June 20th - Tuesday = Arrive at Newcastle Airport, in England. Nigel will pick you up and transport you to the Roman Fort at South Shield. There we will be expected to conduct some public presentations. This is necessary for us to justify our stay there. So please come prepared to do some public presentations. It will be fun to do!

June 21st - Wednesday = Transfer by motor vehicle to Segedunum, a Roman Cavalry Fort. Tour the museum and restored buildings there. Transfer by motor vehicle to bypass the urban route through Newcastle to reach Newburn and the start of the scenic rural route at Tyne Riverside Country Park. March to Heddon-on-the-Wall to connect with the first real visible evidence of Hadrian's Wall. Visit the ruins of the Vindobala Roman Fort. Proceed to Halton. We will be marching about 13 miles/20 km. Lodging near Halton.

June 22nd - Thursday = Take a circular walk to Corbridge. Visit the museum and ruins of the Roman Fort there. Continue on to Chollerford. Campground or lodging near Chollerford. March about 12 miles/18 km.

June 23rd - Friday = Chollerford to Steel Rigg via Chester and Housesteads. Visit the Chester Roman Fort. Visit the Brocolita Roman Fort. Visit the Vercovicium Roman Fort at Housesteads. Camp with the local Romans there? Camp at Winshields? March 13 miles/20 km.

June 24th - Saturday = Circular walk to Vindolanda. Tour the Vindolanda Roman Fort. Proceed to the Roman Army Museum at Carvoran. Visit the Magnis Roman Fort. Camp with the local Romans? Camp at Greenhead? March around 13 miles/20 km.

June 25th - Sunday = Proceed to visit the Birdoswald Roman Fort, continue on to Walton. Stay at a local lodge. March around 12 miles/19 km.

June 26th - Monday = March to Carlisle. Stay at a local lodge. March around 11 miles/18 km.

June 27th - Tuesday = A Free Day of Rest. Visit the many interesting local Roman ruins and museums plus lots of unusual shops. No marching in your Roman full kit on this day.

June 28th - Wednesday = March from Carlisle to Bowness-on-Solway. Finis! Stay at a local lodge. Enjoy the scenic view as you will have now successfully completed this great Roman March Adventure. Rest and reflect upon what you have so nobly accomplished. March around 15 miles/24 km.

June 29th - Thursday = Take a motor transport for returning to the Roman Fort at South Shield. Enjoy a well deserved R & R. If you feel up to it, take a trip to the fabulous international mall at Newcastle. Lots of interesting stores and restaurants there to enjoy. Prepare to return home.

June 30th - Friday = Motor transport to the Newcastle Airport. Return home. Or if you would like to visit other historical sites in England, then you are now released from your duties to Rome. Have a safe trip home.

Please respond to me by January 7th to confirm your intentions for joining us on this great Roman March Adventure. After that date, if there is still room for more Legionaries to join us, I will open up this invitation to four other Legions, Legio IX Hispana in San Diego, Legio VI Victrix in Los Angeles, Legio XXIV in Pennsylvania, and Legio XX in Washington D.C. If we still lack the necessary 10 number, I will offer this invitation to other Roman legions here in the USA.

Firmitas et Honorare!

Centurio Marcus Antonius Lucius
Legio X Fretensis ~ Cohors IV
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Good luck and don't forget to have some extra calligae!! :wink:
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Goodness me! That's some mileage you intend to do each day! Respect!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I think it is very unlikely the roman soldiers themselves marched all the way along Hadrian's wall, they took a ship up the river if they had to cover long distances, but still, respect to all who pull it off, you will probably be the first romans ever to do it Smile
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Quote:you will probably be the first romans ever to do it Smile

I don't think so.

Derk Groeneveld and his Late Roman Exculcatores Votadinii walked part of the wall a few years ago.

Back in 2004, Legio XIV (Roman Military Research Society) walked the wall to raise funds for charity: www.romanarmy.net/hadrian.htm
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Good luck!

3 members of Comitatus walked the hilliest part in October, they marched 10 miles during the day (incluing pitching and striking camp). It was tough and I think your distances are a bit optimistic. Like you we did it in full kit (Late Roman).

Read about it: HERE
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
A group from the RMRS walked Hadrians Wall, from Bowness-on Solway to Heddon-on-the-Wall in August 2004, taking 6 days on, from the Sunday to the Friday, and then we had a event at Wallsend on the weekend. We did not walk in full kit, although we did on the first day, gradually shedding kit until we found what was suitable. I, with the help of another member of the group organised it. The walk was a great sucess and we raised a total of £5000 which was split between Cancer Research and the British Legless Ex-Service Association.

If i can be of any any help please contact me and best of luck with the walk, its a adventure of a lifetime, I can recommend the Black Bull in Haltwhistle for a good pint and very good company.
Steve Sheppard
Quote:
Marcus Mummius:y23jtfht Wrote:you will probably be the first romans ever to do it Smile

I don't think so.

Derk Groeneveld and his Late Roman Exculcatores Votadinii walked part of the wall a few years ago.

Back in 2004, Legio XIV (Roman Military Research Society) walked the wall to raise funds for charity: www.romanarmy.net/hadrian.htm

I meant walking the entire lenght of the wall in full kit, not part of it.
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Quote:
Vortigern Studies:3i0qy3yn Wrote:
Marcus Mummius:3i0qy3yn Wrote:you will probably be the first romans ever to do it Smile
I don't think so.
I meant walking the entire lenght of the wall in full kit, not part of it.
Well, in 2004 the 14th walked from Carlisle to Wallsend, isn't that just about the full lenght? Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
We were advised by Northumberland Police that it was not advisable to walk the Newcastle lengths of the wall in kit - before you go walkies it might be a good ides to check with them
Steve Sheppard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [split] Hadrian's Wall Event brennivs - tony drake 5 3,806 09-16-2016, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Fabricius Carbo
  Roman cavalry on Hadrian's Wall 2017 Viventius 4 3,487 04-14-2016, 06:39 PM
Last Post: caiusbeerquitius
  Roman authors\' Hadrian\'s Wall Walk - for charity ParthianBow 7 2,882 02-01-2013, 04:29 PM
Last Post: Tony Riches