Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Barefoot on snow
http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/w/x/w ... eball.html
If you go to the LAST image at the bottom of the page that is in the aboce link you will se an example of ancient Greek winter dress.
It is very similar to the later Greek folk dress.
Thrakian boots for the upper classes or felt socks with leather wrapings were available for the lower classes. Examples exist in pottery of the Levadia museum.
Winter was not time for war but it was time for raiding.
Raiders were using skirmishing tactics and were dressed well.
The hoplites in Ospery reconstruction are fending off Thracian raiders.
Initially Greek colonists had problems with the Thracians because the had not light roops not because of the cold. They solved the problem by hiring Thracians. They adopted their clothing too.
While I write that it is snoeing in Athens. In 1986 we had snow in late March that was in ancient times campaigning season.
Myrrioi as Xenofon writes got frostbitten because they were unprepared not for lack of resources.
Alexandru, I belive the link will give you an ideat to make winterlike appearence to the hoplites in you diorama.
Kind regards
Thank you. It sure does, although that Greek looks to me more like a Byzantine knight dressed in gambeson. Big Grin D
Strike first, ask later!
Alexandru,
ÃŒt is unsual but it is only one type of winter dress.
also Thessalians and Macedonians had long sleeved tunics.
Use a photograph of the Presintial guard Evzoni in connection to the
imge for better visual aid. The sleeves were narrowerein ancient Greece though.
Kind regards
I've seen knights represented in that way, too.
Where did you get those toy soldiers, Olof?
Quote:Where did you get those toy soldiers, Olof?

A friend of mine bought it from Moldova or Ucraina. Very cheap, 3$ for all set. But I think you can find it on Internet. Search for Zvezda 8005
http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Rev ... &code=8005
Strike first, ask later!
Quote:Where did you get those toy soldiers, Olof?

A friend of mine bought them from Moldova or Ukraine. Very cheap, 3$ for all set.
But you can try here, I don't know how serios they are: knowhttp://www.aviapress.com/viewproducer.htm?ZVD
Strike first, ask later!
In the west the russian company ZVESDA sells them.
There is also a less known Belarussian firm working the same mitres.
In Moldova possibly the Belarussian firm must be as cheap as Alexandru says. Italleri and HAT market similar products with HAT being the more divesified. check the link I give in Wargaming section
I hope that my posts helped to clear the situation about winder condition in ancient Greek armies.
Kind regards
Quote:I hope that my posts helped to clear the situation about winder condition in ancient Greek armies.
Yes, it does. Again, thank you .
Strike first, ask later!
I'm very impressed by those figures, I think they could be useful for schoolchildren, to help them envisage Greek soldiers of the Classical period.