Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Latin Drill Commands
Quote:We can also hope that there may have existed drill manuals from the time period (1st century), but that does not seem likely. We know that Latin poetry (of that era) required regular metrical pacing, and there were handbooks on Latin grammar and etymologies.
In future posts, I think it would be helpful if we list the literary sources/references that we are using as a guide and discuss each one.

Hi David,
Thanks for that helpful response. No, I agree that no drill manual from the 1st c. seems to have existed - at least not well-published enough that later authors made use of such a manual. I'm afraid that we're stuck with Maurice! :wink:

Listing sources with posts is always recomended on this forum, but this practise seems to have lapsed somewhat... :roll:

If you need that list from Junkelmann, I´d be happy to scan it for you.

How about discussing each command that we have or that we want to have= I have a full list of Maurice ready - from the book, my interpretation of how it was used, and how we could use it as re-enactors.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Valeri,

Well said. I apologize to all in the group if I have created the impression that we will attempt to pass our work off as being the actual words used by commanders in the 1st century. I can see by your well reasoned response that I was creating an impression that was NOT intended. I look forward to receiving my ordered copy of Doktor Junkelmann's book. It is very hard to come by in the U.S.

I ordered mine directly from Amazon.DE aka Amazon Germany
and had a quick response, as I did with his other books, but that was a few years ago.
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Quote: have a full list of Maurice ready - from the book, my interpretation of how it was used, and how we could use it as re-enactors.

I'm very curious!
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
We have 're-introduced' as many orders from Maurice's book as possible for our display at Tarragona and the result has been an improvement. Go ahead, Robert 8)

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
OK! I've started a new thread here:
http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=16469
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Dave, it may also help us to know exactly what newer commands you require and why.

Legion: TBD

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Discussing Roman drill commands (NO HOLDS BARRED!!) Robert Vermaat 30 8,714 07-02-2013, 01:09 AM
Last Post: M. Demetrius
  hoplite drill with ancient commands hoplite14gr 2 1,395 02-19-2009, 08:17 AM
Last Post: hoplite14gr
  Latin commands thread FlaviusCrispus 40 8,271 11-23-2005, 08:16 PM
Last Post: TFLAVIUSAMBIORIX