Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1st Century Cold Weather Clothing
Here are a few pics of my take on a first century soldiers cold weather clothing. The pale yellow long sleeve tunic is patterned from the Thorsberg tunic found in Demark, as are the trousers. I cut the legs off ont he trousers to mimic bracae, as commonly seen in Roman art. . My lower legs are covered in legwraps cut from and old blanket, and based on period writtings. The wool tunic (barely visable) worn over the yellow tunic is cut from a brown and grey herringbone twill wool. Its cut to the standard Roman military tunic pattern. The colors I chose are not based on any extant Roman clothing. However these colors and weaves are known from the period. Also it keeps away from the old tunic color debate. My socks are a copy of a pair found in Egypt, but in different colors. My cloak is a heavy wool paenula that I dyed myself, and fulled. I would like to add thatGraham Sumners books have been a great help in recreating this kit.

[Image: 051119-RomanPaul6.jpg]

[Image: 051119-RomanPaul9.jpg]
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Realistic cold weather gear 66kbm 20 4,209 02-06-2015, 12:05 AM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Winter Clothing in 1st century AD legionary re-enactment Crispvs 93 15,988 02-02-2014, 07:36 PM
Last Post: M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
  Cold Weather Gear Gaius Colletti 13 3,255 04-22-2013, 05:30 PM
Last Post: Florian