Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
most interesting troop type?
Errrr... so am I!

What about the CAPSARII?
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Well also you have the cavalry, Theres special trrops there like Speculatores Augustii ( emperors mounted body guard ) and the Mounted Praetrian Cohorts. But I still think the Navy is definitly .... well look at it this way If there was a trireme or bireme available complete with missile maschines and you could put on a display for a large crowd with a floating target that could be sunk .... well I leave it for your imagination.
Animals die, friends die, and I shall die, but one thing never dies, and that is the reputation we leave behind after our death.
No man loses Honour who had any in the first place. - Syrus
Octavianvs ( Johnn C. ) MODERATOR ROMAN ARMY TALK
Click for Rule for Posting [url:3135udah]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
You left out one of the most interesting (and overlooked) 1st century troop type of all - Legionary light infantry. They did exist, there is at least one tombstone. They had oval shields and carried javelins, and probably fullfilled the role of the velites of old.
Dan
unfortunatly they didn't add enough buttons for me to add legionary light infantry, I actually wanted to, I used to reenact this type.
aka., John Shook
This board has an unlimited number of poll options, but you'd have to start a new one.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Naval Units, Definitely - both for sheer interest, but also as they are intriguing to study (intriguing, as in there is so little *known* data about them...).

But then there are always the cataphractarii....now there is something!!! Confusedhock:

Lucius
Christoph Rummel
I am also fascinated with the Ballistarii... Big Grin
Lucius Aurelius Metellus
a.k.a. Jeffrey L. Greene
Roman horsearchers!
Johnny
Johnny Shumate