Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
most interesting troop type?
<FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>what troop type of the 1st-2nd c. do you find most interesting, me personally, auxiliary light infantry.</FONT><FORM method=post action="http://p200.ezboard.com/fromanarmytalkfrm2.processVote?topicID=987.topic"><table border=0 cellpadding=3 cellspacing=0 width="55%"><tbody><tr><td><input type="radio" name="choice" value="1"><FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>auxiliary missile troops</FONT></td></tr><tr><td><input type="radio" name="choice" value="2"><FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>cavalry</FONT></td></tr><tr><td><input type="radio" name="choice" value="3"><FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>auxiliary infantry</FONT></td></tr><tr><td><input type="radio" name="choice" value="4"><FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>legionary infantry</FONT></td></tr><tr><td><input type="radio" name="choice" value="5"><FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>naval</FONT></td></tr></tbody></table><P><input type=submit value="Vote"></form><a HREF=http://p200.ezboard.com/fromanarmytalkfrm2.showMessage?topicID=987.topic&pollResults=on><FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=1>Show results</FONT></A> <p></p><i></i>
aka., John Shook
None of the above, I think it's 4th c. <em>comitatenses</em> infantry. <p>Valete,<br>
Valerius/Robert<br>
[url=http://www.fectio.org.uk/" target="top]fectienses seniores[/url]</p><i></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Hmm..out of the given choices I go with 'naval' since that branch seems to be the most mysterious. <p></p><i></i>
Jaime
Interesting as in 'what the **** was going on?' I'd vote naval. Not only are they quite mysterious, they had ships. Ships rock.<br>
<br>
as in 'most interesting to look at'? That would be auxiliary cavalry. Legionary cavalry, too, really. Stomping horses, gleaming armour, fluttering draco standards and lavish decoration - its hard to beat.<br>
<br>
as in 'most interesting to re-enact'? That would be the legions. They simply did everything - you want builders, armourers, engineers, artillerists, surveyors, tax officials, police, court clerks, local government functionaries, auditors or intrepid explorers? Call the legions. <p></p><i></i>
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
But, what about the clerks? The administrators? The pen-pushers? Did they not contribute? <p></p><i></i>
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Interesting as in which of the above do you enjoy studying the most &c. <p></p><i></i>
aka., John Shook
Well, errrmmmm...... let me think. <p></p><i></i>
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Hey, I'm making Titus Flavius Artemidorus into a tabularius. Of course I like the clerks. I hope to make cornicularius at some point, but first I'd need to get my hands on some decent limewood veneer, gum arabic and beeswax. <p></p><i></i>
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
definitly naval as far as the most over all interesting probably because it doesnt get the exposure you will get with land based troops, even when roman forces lost a fort theres remains to be found, if a roman ship goes down theres not much hope there. Cavalry Hyppika Gymnasia definitly is the most elaborate in looks and Your standard legion was the backbone of the empire its did it all. and by hand too for that matter. - Octavianvs
Animals die, friends die, and I shall die, but one thing never dies, and that is the reputation we leave behind after our death.
No man loses Honour who had any in the first place. - Syrus
Octavianvs ( Johnn C. ) MODERATOR ROMAN ARMY TALK
Click for Rule for Posting [url:3135udah]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
Does anyone know if there are any books entirely on the roman navy - Octavianvs
Animals die, friends die, and I shall die, but one thing never dies, and that is the reputation we leave behind after our death.
Click for Rule for Posting [url:3135udah]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
Yup,
Chester Starr, The Roman Imperial Navy (3rd ed Chicago 1963)
Michel Reddé, Mare Nostrum (Rome 1986)
Dietmar Kienast, Untersuchungen zu den Kriegsflotten der Römischen Kaiserzeit (Bonn 1966)
H.C.Könen, Classis Germanica (St.Katharinen 2000)
J.H.Thiel, Studies on the History of Roman Sea-power in Republican Times (Amsterdam 1946)
J.H.ThielA history of Roman Sea-power before the Second Punic War (Amsterdam 1954)
D.J.Mason, Roman Britain and the Roman Navy (Stroud 2003)
O.Bounegru and M.Zahariade, Les Forces Navales du Bas Danube et de la Mer Noire aux Ier-VIe Siècles (Oxford 1996)
H.D.L.Viereck, Die Römische Flotte (1975/Hamburg 1996)

That's a good start, I'd say.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Jasper - Thanks for the info I will start hitting ABE to locate them - Octavianvs ( Johnn )
I voted for the naval forces, too, as the design of these ships is still fascinating - it looks "half-beastlike" with all these elements that were not only functional, but also a kind of tribute to the real beasts of the sea (btw, modern ships are again having a "ram" as they found out that it's less energy-consuming to glide through the water with that bow-design)
--- Marcus F. ---
I find Roman Dromedarii the most interesting. Any offers for a re-enactment unit?

[Image: dromedariikl.jpg]
*image (from 'The Roman Camel Corp', Military Illustrated magazine 90, November 1995) inserted by request of GS*

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Well, I must agree with Robert! Big Grin wink:
Lucius Aurelius Metellus
a.k.a. Jeffrey L. Greene