Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what kind of belt for 6th century byzantine infantry???
what kind of belt should I use for 6th century byzantine?, we are assuming infantry officer.
aka., John Shook
I would assume a comparatively narrow leather belt, maybe even hidden by the folds of the tunic. At least that is what is shown on the 'life of Joseph' ivory pnyx in the Eremitage that dates to this era (soldier to Joseph's left). The soldiers in San Apollinare Nuovo (c. 520) also wear narrow leather belts over tighter tunics that appear to be fitted with metal decoration studs all around and plain baldrics. The soldiers in a crucifixion scene in the Zagba Evangeliary (today in the Bibliotheca Laurentiana in Florence) also wear the same combination of leather belt and baldric, but theirs are undecorated and appear undyed.
Copper alloy buckles and tongues for this kind of belt are often decorated very finely, but much smaller than the familiar broad 4th/5th century type. It seems this type also survived, though, at least in one case. A belt set with metal studs and danglia dated to the 6th century from Yugoslavia is depicted in the museum catalogue 'Byzanz-Licht aus dem Osten (ed. C. Stiegemann, Verlag Philipp von Zabern, Mainz 2001). Unfortunately, it is unpublished and from a private collection.
You vant I should take pictures, maybe?
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
if you could take pictures that would be great, I wouldn't be able to thank you enough.

GRATIAS

CONSTANTINIUS BEBE
aka., John Shook
Sure. Let me know what e-mail address to send them to.

(for reasons of it's own, RAT doesn't want me to send private messages at the moment)
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
[email protected]

thanks.

--John
aka., John Shook
John, considering the fuss clergymen did about the "eastern belts" the examples presented in the osprey "romano-byzantine armies" and the step cultures of that period might be valid.
Hope I helped.
Kind regards
Stefanos
Here is a shameless bit of self promotion!

I had to illustrate a variety of sixth century belts in 'Roman Military Clothing 3' published by Osprey. Dr Raffaele D'Amato supplied me with the information but there is a bibliography in the book.

Hope this is of some use to you.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
yup, ordered your book already, still waiting for it to arrive.
aka., John Shook
Quote:yup, ordered your book already, still waiting for it to arrive.

Hi
I think that when it does arrive you will be more than just pleasantly surprised!

If ever you do make any of the reconstructions in the book you will certainly be the envy of your friends, especially if you go for the Heraclius look!

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quote:especially if you go for the Heraclius look!
Yes, we want Heraclius! Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I actually already have a complete byzantine kit, but I will see what I can do about turning it into heraclius. the only part of my kit that was wrong was the belt, it is a late roman belt (too wide)
aka., John Shook

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  4th Century Roman Belt Color Antoninus05 9 4,795 02-27-2016, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Damien Deryckère
  4th Century Roman Belt Primvs Pavlvs 13 3,431 08-06-2012, 11:12 AM
Last Post: Virilis
  Reconstruction of 1st century roman belt. Titus Marius Secundus 21 4,908 06-21-2012, 07:32 AM
Last Post: Titus Marius Secundus