Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Imperial Gallic helmet
Avete, amici!

OK, standard disclaimer-- I'm not endorsing the sale or purchase of this item. But here is a genuine Roman Imperial Gallic H type helmet offered on eBay:

*Edited by caiustarquitius / Violation of posting rule #4*

My firm, Freeman & Sear, has examined this piece and concluded it is genuine. [We are NOT, however, offering it for sale, nor are we endorsing its purchase by anyone.] The iron is in a heavily corroded state, however. The peak, cheek pieces, brass trim and bosses are all missing, and there is a rather large hole across the crown, obliterating much of the eyebrows (although the ends of both can be seen, showing triple fluting). The neck guard is intact, and shows all the classic embossing. It seems possible to me the hole was caused at least in part by battle damage, perhaps a falx blow, and that the bowl was stripped of all the recyclable items-- cheek pieces, brass trim, etc.-- before being discarded. The hole could also be caused entirely by corrosion.

I believe it likely this helmet was lost during the Domitianic Dacian campaigns of the A.D. 80s.

I'll be posting pictures of this helmet plus some other interesting items on a newly expanded Real Gear section of the Legio VI website in coming weeks.
T. Flavius Crispus / David S. Michaels
Centurio Pilus Prior,
Legio VI VPF
CA, USA

"Oderint dum probent."
Tiberius
Well, I guess that answers the debate about how polished the Romans kept their kit.

*cough*

:lol:
AVETE OMNES
MARIVS TARQVINIVS VRSVS
PATER FAMILIAS DOMVS VRSVM
-Tom
Quote:Well, I guess that answers the debate about how polished the Romans kept their kit.

Hey, YOU should look so good after 1,900-odd years in the ground!
T. Flavius Crispus / David S. Michaels
Centurio Pilus Prior,
Legio VI VPF
CA, USA

"Oderint dum probent."
Tiberius
Quote:
Quote:Well, I guess that answers the debate about how polished the Romans kept their kit.

Hey, YOU should look so good after 1,900-odd years in the ground!

Come to think of it, I don't even look that good after only six hours in bed!
AVETE OMNES
MARIVS TARQVINIVS VRSVS
PATER FAMILIAS DOMVS VRSVM
-Tom
Can you post a photo?
Rich Marinaccio
Your best bet is to go to whatever auction site is mentioned,
search for the item and download your own photo, which would not be a violation of the current RAT rules.
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Imperial Gallic J - Robinson's mistake? Konstantin Ankilov 6 2,397 01-24-2021, 12:44 PM
Last Post: Militarus
  Roman helmets: Imperial Gallic/Italic and Ridge - comparisons and sources CaesarAugustus 92 18,452 12-16-2020, 08:39 PM
Last Post: CaesarAugustus
  Imperial Gallic I Moguntiacum Marc 3 1,868 07-16-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: drsrob