Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Translation request
Sorry to bother everyone with this, but my last Latin lesson was in 1980. Can someone please translate this?
Quote:"Nam pectora ferro terribilesque innexa iubas ruit agmine nigro latratuque agmine cohors"
Thanks for reading.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I am checking....some of the words don't seem to be Latin.... :?
it is certain....... iron terrible or frightening......black.......cohort...is all I can understand at a guess..?

from Valerii Flacci.....Argonautica Book VI....I have discovered....
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
I had discovered that too. If I remember, I'll check at the library today.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
hmmmm.....I'm not expert, but could this have been referring to King Juba of numidia? Just asking because I see "iubas" and "nigro" on the same phrase...I can recognize "agmen" as an army on the march...and "latratu*s*que as barking(and order) at?....but it's all I can barely recognize. I'm just going by intuition.
aka: Julio Peña
Quote:"audaces Fortuna iuvat"
- shouted by Turnus in Virgil\'s Aeneid in book X just before he is utterly destroyed by Aeneas\' Trojans.
Several translations have already been proposed in the Classis-soldier thread.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
ooops MEA CVLPA Jasper....I just saw that...sorry...this always happens when one is trying to pay attention to 3 things at once! :oops:
aka: Julio Peña
Quote:"audaces Fortuna iuvat"
- shouted by Turnus in Virgil\'s Aeneid in book X just before he is utterly destroyed by Aeneas\' Trojans.
My fault. I was just ober-eager to get a translation of the latin posted :?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  English-German translation request Eleatic Guest 13 3,583 05-04-2009, 01:15 PM
Last Post: Eleatic Guest
  Small Latin Translation Request Anonymous 4 1,261 03-27-2004, 06:41 PM
Last Post: Anonymous