Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recreating a legionair beginning 3rd Century
Hello Constaine,

Most of the time I am an auxiliary. Cohors Quinta Gallorum was actually an auxiliary unit based at Arbeia (South Shields) during the 3rd century. Our actual impressions are set approximately around the year 235AD.

At this time there would be hardly any difference between auxiliary and legionary equipment. In my opinion you certainly could not differentiate between them by looking at what material their helmets were made from (if indeed you could for any period). It is the case though, that are many more copper alloy helmets finds from the period, than there are iron ones - but that probably tells us nothing more than iron rusts if left in the ground. Big Grin

On the matter of my type of helmet ever being used by the cavalry. I am going to stick my neck out and say no. The differences between them though can often be very subtle. It is best to ignore any of the present classification systems and judge each helmet it is own right.

Hope that kind of makes sense. I know you you have a similar dilemma in the 4th with nasal plated ridge helmets. Were they ever used by the infantry?

Andrew

Messages In This Thread
A question: Auxillary Es - by Caius Valens - 11-08-2005, 09:04 PM
Re: Recreating a legionair beginning 3rd Century - by Sassanid - 11-08-2005, 10:13 PM
Brass Aux E - by Caius Valens - 11-09-2005, 09:59 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  greaves for the beginning of 2nd AD Aurelianus 3 1,416 01-06-2008, 08:59 AM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar