Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3rd Century Roman Stuff! Deepeeka, etc...
Thanks so much, Sassanid Big Grin

Vale.
Jaime
Quote:Hi!
Make sure your belt is made of two thin layers of leather, thinned out at the rims. the thinned out part is turned over. Then put the leather stripes back to back and put a thin layer of very fine linen in between. The stitch along the rims with a colored linen thread. Use two needles and one thread. Use colored fine leather for the belt, best would be blue or red.

I've heard this before ... where does this evidence come from? It seems an overly elaborate method of belt construction. Are there any surviving belts?
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
Hi!
There's evidence from several bog finds in Germany and Denmark, also from Syria. I have to check my documents for the bibliography.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Quote:Hi!
There's evidence from several bog finds in Germany and Denmark, also from Syria. I have to check my documents for the bibliography.

Interesting. Multiple finds? Do you know why two pieces of leather were stiched together as opposed to a single thick piece being used? Do you know why linen was placed between the two pieces?

Very puzzling.
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
That is quite an elaborate way to make a belt, but it does intrigue me! As I said, whichever outfit I do, I want it done very intricately... Wink

-Gregory- 8)
Gregory J. Liebau
The Bronze Age Center
Hi Mithras,

Quote:I've heard this before ... where does this evidence come from? It seems an overly elaborate method of belt construction. Are there any surviving belts?

Let us reverse that question, do you have any proof for the single piece thick leather belt. There is quite a bit of evidence for the linen padded two piece leather belt, but none to my knowledge for the alternative.

The linen is for padding it it out.

I have worn a baldric made of thick leather for 8 hours. It hurt, badly...

Andrew
some things to consider.

Real leather has two distinct sides, and one side is rough.
much of the modern "thick leather" is processed in a way that
takes leather "fiber" and treats it into polished "Saddle-skirting" and "Belt Leather".

I raise "period" Spanish long-horned cattle, and I sometimes skin the carcasses, and I have processed the hides.

Raw-hides from goats and cattle are usually not very thick naturally in most
cases, but if you take cow hides and dissolve them into fibers, then press them flat, and treat them they can make really thick "leather".

Probably the Romans were using natural, veggie tanned goat leather, which is usually thin, and has one smooth side and one rough side. If you want a fancy belt, you'll take two pieces of leather, and sew the rough sides inside, getting a thicker belt with smooth surfaces. The linen inside will give the leather a better material to sew the leather to, and make the belt more durable and decoratable!

Besides, how else are you going to spend your free time in garrison when there are no TVs, Computers, or radios? Making beautiful personal equipment for yourself or for others. (Plus the Romans still had plenty of people who devoted their lives and livelihood to crafts, even leaving out the available slave labor!)
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
How about gluing the two pieces together instead of sewing ? Quicker, easier and possibly just as valid a method. We just don't know what they used for glue :? This was discussed in one of the the "Greek" threads recently
Jaime
Theodosius,

thank's for the comment

Quote:The best impression from the early 3rd century I've seen is done by Flavius Promotius
:oops:

but I am still VERY much under construction: a new herringbone tunic (see reenactment gallery - Xanten 2005 - page 6 - the first 3 images - forgive me my stupid grinning), a painted hasta, a stitched baldric, and it will still take at least a year ! (the neverending story of improving personal equipment)

I do also NOT want to compete with Quinta, who are still miles in advance (scale coif, nice subarmalis, etc.). BTW, does anyone have images of the milites Taunenses ?

The Kuenzing pugio from Deepeeka - Caius is right, it is not a very nice copy, rather sloppy in fact. On the other hand, Deepeeka is the only source I know for a copy of a 3rd century pugio which can be bought by milites with a meager salary (such as myself). I still use mine as I don't have an alternative.

Vale,
Aurelius Florianus/Flavius Promotus
Florian Himmler (not related!)
Quote: Theodosius,

thank's for the comment :oops:

Just my honest opinion, Flavius :wink: .

Quote:but I am still VERY much under construction

I'm not sure that anyone isn't :lol:

Quote:see reenactment gallery - Xanten 2005 - page 6 - the first 3 images

Great pictures. Winter campaign, huh :?:

Everyone looks great, but I like your combination the best - the tunic and sagum colors, the lorica, the scutum, helmet, hasta, everything..... Big Grin
Jaime
Thanks !!! Confusedhock:

Wait 'till spring 2006 for better images :wink:

If I can get enough time and motivation during winter...
Florian Himmler (not related!)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Deepeeka stuff Ebusitanus 29 5,214 02-17-2005, 12:28 PM
Last Post: Anonymous