Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winter clothing in the 2nd century
Hi Constaine here with a question, I am going be to an event in late Nov early Dec were I will be doing 2nd century Roman. Its going to be a cool day. While I know I can wear the half breeches, did the Romans of this time period were longselves for winter clothing?Did they have a layerd approach to winter clothing. I usally go to summer events. If any one has any pics or suggestions please let me know thanks. Cheers Constaine
He who desires peace ,let him prepare for war. He who wants victory, let him train soldiers diligently. No one dares challenge or harm one who he realises will win if he fights. Vegetius, Epitome 3, 1st Century Legionary Thomas Razem
Here how I played Roman last Christmas till New Year (every evening, temperatures were about 5 below zero, I guess).
(Yeah, I'm a little bit crazy I think, but for me It's good enough)

I only used my "summer" outfit with some little extras. These are:
-Better Paenula
-Wool tunic instead of Linnen
-Got some old wool tunic and maked strips of it
I've wrapped my legs in these strips.

Onlye think that was cold where my ears....

(Yeah, I like cold days, and realy never feel cold!)
ALA I BATAVORUM
There is some evidence that Roman soldiers stationed on the frontiers might have adopted aspects of 'native' costume quite early - Tacitus describes the Vitellian general Caecina, who led a veteran army from Upper Germany across the Alps early in 69AD, appearing in Italy 'attired in parti-coloured plaid and trousers' - if their commander was dressed like this, it suggests that the troops might have been as well! (Tacitus, Histories 2.20). There's also the account, from much later, of the strange appearance of Severus' army - again from Germany - arriving in Rome, which many have taken as indicating their adoption of Germanic long tunics and trousers. Seeing as we don't have any evidence that Roman soldiers were officially barred from wearing 'un-Roman' winter clothing, there's no reason to believe that they did not - it would depend on where your reconstructed legionary was supposed to be based, of course.
Nathan Ross
Ave Constaine Here Big Grin wink:
He who desires peace ,let him prepare for war. He who wants victory, let him train soldiers diligently. No one dares challenge or harm one who he realises will win if he fights. Vegetius, Epitome 3, 1st Century Legionary Thomas Razem
No doubt the Roman army adopted native clothing styles, if for no other reason than that they depended on native production for the supply of many quotidian items. However, Italian clothing traditions also has a viable answer to winter temperatures (winter in Germany or Britain is closer in nature to what you experience in the Alpine foothoills or Illyria than the Arctic conditions that could be encountered in the Bosphoran client states or Dacia).

First of all, layering is important. Suetonius reports Augustus wore no less than five tunics, being unusually sensitive to cold. From a weekend spent in Roman dress in Helsinki in January, I can attest that three layers (linen undertunic, light wool tunic, medium-weight wool cloak) are fine for a few hours' exposure to normal winter temperatures, though I wouldn't have wanted to spend the night under canvas in that stuff. And no matter what the contemporary moralists think, a long-sleeved tunic is perfectly fine and will not detract from your masculinity half as much as frostbite will Smile

As cloaks go, I found my blanketweight paernula more comfortable than my lighter, but larger sagum, but both did good duty. I especially appreciated the hood and would assume that either one such or a cap would have been worn in winter. Woolen socks and leg wrappings also proved warm and snug, though trousers are more practical and don't need regular re-tying. Nonetheless, the assumption that the Roman army needed to adopt local winter clothing is an oversimplification.

Of course, if you want to go that way you could take your cues from civilian Rhineland grave monuments such as the Igel column and make yourself a wide, long-sleeved 'Gallic' tunic, trousers, leg wraps, and a woolen or fur hooded cape. I am in the process of making these and may be able to tell you more about how they stand up to winter come next spring.
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
Before going 'native' adopting long sleeved tunics, trousers and the like remember it is possible to remain Roman and wear under-tunics, under-cloaks and even over-cloaks. On the other hand you could try a cloak made from bark! All of these items are recorded on the Vindolanda writing tablets, details of which can be found via the Vindolanda website.

Leg bindings (of the type we would call today Puttees) are mentioned by Galen, imperial physician to Marcus Aurelius as being worn by soldiers. So they too would be suitable for a second century winter impression.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Hi Graham Constaine here I bought the book,Roman MilitaryClothing 1 It will be of great help just wanted to thank you. Cheers Constaine
If you are looking for 2nd/3rd century clothing, try to get Roman Military Clothing II. Very nice book ! It even sports a 3rd century centurion who looks suspiciously like Chris Haines from the ESG Big Grin
Florian Himmler (not related!)
Hi Flavius, I am planning to purchase the 2nd edtion, is there one for the late Roman period as well? Cheers Constaine
There are 3 books:

Roman Military Clothing (1) 100 BC-AD 200 (Men-at-Arms 374)
Roman Military Clothing (2) AD 200-400 (Men-at-Arms 390)
Roman Military Clothing (3) AD 400-640 (Men-at-Arms 425)

[Image: S4876AL.JPG]
[Image: S5597AL.JPG]
[Image: S843XAL.JPG]

All are a 'must-have', I think. Very well-researched, very well-drawn.
Two are for the Late Roman period, in fact!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Winter Clothing in 1st century AD legionary re-enactment Crispvs 93 15,985 02-02-2014, 07:36 PM
Last Post: M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
  1st Century Cold Weather Clothing Primvs Pavlvs 0 1,057 11-20-2005, 07:27 PM
Last Post: Primvs Pavlvs