Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Celts/Germanic tribes more advanced in many ways
Laminate it? Fort Knox? Nuclear fallout shelter? Salt mine?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
[b]Tasciavanous":2fzhnjer]
Quote:\\n
Quote:The Romans also perhaps fornicated themselves out of existence?

Err...... I think you are on very questionable grounds here, both moral and historically demonstrable.

Well quite, Tasciavanus. :wink: But I was just pondering whether or
not the quote from 'Arvee' was actually a contadiction in terms. Since
surely, a culture cannot 'fornicate themselves out of existence', but
would, in fact, only increase in number through this practise. :lol:

By the way, I'm not saying 'Arvee' IS an oxymoron. 8)

Ambrosius
"Feel the fire in your bones."
Quote:Laminate it? Fort Knox? Nuclear fallout shelter? Salt mine?
Naaah!
I suggest Sicilian sulphur mine or you think this is too much? :twisted:
Hello everyone Big Grin wink:
He who desires peace ,let him prepare for war. He who wants victory, let him train soldiers diligently. No one dares challenge or harm one who he realises will win if he fights. Vegetius, Epitome 3, 1st Century Legionary Thomas Razem
Hi Jim!

Quote: Hitler? - Never let an artist rule a country.

Erherm! Let's just forget that Churchill was a painter, then, shall we? :lol:

Love the tunic, by the way. Those spots must represent the number of
enemies you've slain in battle. Always wondered how Roman soldiers
kept the score. :o

Ambrosius
What silly nonsense is this? The modern Germans have one of the world's greatest achaeological programs, primarily due to their neverending, but decidedly "hopeless" quest to prove how "advanced" their ancient culture was. And what was been found after thousands of excavations of ancient Germannic living sites and graves? Very little more than a few crude rusty weapons and pottery that looks like it was made by kindergarten children or cavemen, (unless they were items stolen from other cultures, of course). What monuments of the ancient Germans still stand? None that I know of. I can scarcely recall an ancient site in which the Germans so much as stacked one stone upon another. Virtually all of their structures were nothing more than hovels of logs, twigs, mud and cow dung of which nothing remains today but the post holes.

Although the saga of Beowulf probably marks the epitomy of ancient Germanic cultural acheivement, consider it for a moment. Beowulf's world was nothing more than brawling, drunken thugs killing each other in mindless blood feuds for countless centuries without accomplishing anything. To the Germanic writer of Beowulf, the most wondrous accomplishment of mankind was a gigantic mead hall of dung and twigs in which to get hopelessy drunk and dream up lies about killing monsters. Wherever it was, this "greatest acheievement of the Germannic world" has decayed into the same nothingness that sums up ancient German culture.

Where would mankind be today if it had not suffered the virtual destruction of western civilization and a millennia long "dark age" of ignorance and destruction wrought by the Germans? Conquest of all disease, colonies througout our solar system, and travel to the stars?
Quote:Where would mankind be today if it had not suffered the virtual destruction of western civilization and a millennia long "dark age" of ignorance and destruction wrought by the Germans? Conquest of all disease, colonies througout our solar system, and travel to the stars?

The Romans came close to inventing the steam engine in the 2nd century AD. An Alexandrian Greek inventor - I forget his name - created a small steam powered trinket. The Industrial Revolution almost occured 1600 years earlier than it did Confusedhock:

I disagree about attributing the so-called "dark age" to technological stagnation. Rome didn't fall in the East. And the only major thing the Eastern Romans invented was Greek Fire :!: :?
Jaime
He was Heron, Theo and I must say, as Robert has done previously, that this thread has gone irremediably astray! :?
Following thing will probably be the :| paddlock, guys!

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Quote:He was Heron, Theo and I must say, as Robert has done previously, that this thread has gone irremediably astray! :?
Following thing will probably be the :| paddlock, guys!

Aitor

Absolutely right. Fantastic invention. 8) :lol: :lol: )

Ambrosius
Speaking of Roman padlocks, I have a very nice original one from around the 5th century AD - from a German context, but certainly not made by them unless they possessed civilized slaves who undertood such mechanisms. It was found with a spatha blade with a roman makers mark, and a forged iron dragon like one on a Visgothic casket.

But why "padlock" this thread?
Dan,

Since you mentioned dragons, how is that book of yours
coming along?

Ambrosius