Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How did the Romans silver equipment?
Theodosius,

Looks an interesting source- let me know the results!

Cheers

Britannicus
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Hi Britannicus,

So far it seems to be working very well. I think I still need to apply a couple of more coats.

It's a bit difficult to see in the picture. The visor and cheek pieces are untouched so I can see the contrast. (I do plan to silver the entire helmet)

[Image: silver.jpg]

BTW, what's with the new restrictions on picture sizes ? Moderators ?
Jaime
Quote:BTW, what's with the new restrictions on picture sizes ? Moderators ?

Quote:I've installed a mod to limit both the number and size of images in posts. Standard is 3 images, 300*400 pixels. Does this need change?
Another mod was added that automatically resizes off-site avatars to 115*115 max.

[size=150:3ngtg0ml]W[/size]e just had TOO many people posting über-large pix in posts. It messes the pages up and slows down the page loading for us fools on dial-up... Sorry if it causes you trouble in posting something. If you have a problem w/ this, please let Jasper know.
Best, Marsh
DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS
a.k.a.: Marsh Wise
Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

"A fondness for power is implanted in most men, and it is natural to abuse it when acquired." -- Alexander Hamilton

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.... But then I repeat myself." ~Mark Twain

[img size=150]http://www.romanobritain.org/Graphics/marsh_qr1.png[/img]
(Oooh, Marshall, you cannot use an icky modern QR code, it is against all policies and rules.)
Well, I've finished silvering the outside surface of my helmet. So far so good. Any comments, questions ?

I used the "Silver Plating Formula". Each bottle contains 150mL (5 fl oz.)
and I used about 3/4 of one bottle. And I've got an extra one.

[Image: silverattic.jpg]

I think I'll use it on my belt and baldric pieces next.

Thanks, Britannicus, for your help. Smile

THEO

Decimus,

Quote:We just had TOO many people posting über-large pix in posts. It messes the pages up and slows down the page loading for us fools on dial-up... Sorry if it causes you trouble in posting something.

OK. Just wondering :wink:
Jaime
Heeeey- that's pretty nifty Big Grin Is the silvering compound expensive stuff?

Matt
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Hi Matt,

Thanks Big Grin

I paid about $27 (USD) which doesn't include shipping. :wink:
Jaime
Wow Theo Confusedhock: !... Super!

It this botle come in Gold? I just asking because I 'll ending making the cuirass of Philip II Macedon by myself I guess, and I need a botle like that but in gold, for the gold decoration of the cuirass..... Anyway Theo you just graduate from that experiment [size=200:1c2er3ik]MEN![/size]

Also that is good for gravees decoration & for thacian impression etc. :wink:

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
Thanks, Comerus Smile

The bottle says it contains "Pure Silver". I'm not sure if there's one for gold, but I'll check for you.

If you check on your own, you may want to search under "gold restorer". Probably under the jewelry section in eBay.

Good luck with your kit :wink:
Jaime
Thanks Theo! Big Grin

Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
Comerus,

I just found this on eBay : [url:1qmyelwz]http://cgi.ebay.com/24k-Gold-Jewelers-Rectifier-Plating-Solution_W0QQitemZ5036260295QQcategoryZ10323QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

It's more expensive since it contains gold.

Good luck with your Phillip II armor :wink:

Theo
Jaime
Quote:Comerus,

I just found this on eBay : [url:12pwpxyj]http://cgi.ebay.com/24k-Gold-Jewelers-Rectifier-Plating-Solution_W0QQitemZ5036260295QQcategoryZ10323QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

It's more expensive since it contains gold.

Good luck with your Phillip II armor :wink:

Theo

[size=150:12pwpxyj]THAN YOU THEO![/size]
[Image: googoo.gif][size=150:12pwpxyj]gOOgOO![/size]