Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wot, no actors?
Hi, Gioi,

I'm no Thracian, but a Hoplite of Thespiae - and I'll STILL outrun you!
There should be Thracians about, nonetheless. Danno Ulpius does contribute on this Forum, but I haven't seen his Samnite kit and I believe he said he can't come to the UK, because he's spending a couple of years in Turkey. (Honestly, the feeble excuses some people come up with... :wink: )

Paul
Paul, I am currently assembling an ancient medical kit which I hope I would be able to demonstrate when I will be there next summer.
And as for the "wot no actors" I can orate I think quite well in English.
So tell me if I can help you on that. I am no professional but if I can assist...
Regards
Stefanos
Very interesting, Stefanos. Do bring your medical kit and be prepared to talk about it. A volunteer for acting will be very useful. I don't know what we may stage, yet, but knowing you'll help is a good start. Do you fancy the role of Choragos? Is there any play or theme you would like us to stage?

Paul
Definitly I will bring my medikit and I can give a talk about it.
I can give also a small talk of the evolution of the Greek alphabet and (or) Hoplite heraldry. I will prsesent staff that yet has not been translated into Eglish based on an article of my friend George Iliopoulos
I cannot think of a patricular play that I fancy more than the others.
I think I can do a reasoanble choragos.
Ideas for acting:
Troops swearing the oath not to retreat. (Platea is agood example)
A General giving engouragement to his troops Thukidides and Xenophon sre full of cases. If you tell me the passage you chose I can memorise it in English.
If there are civilians then ladies can demonstrate the "TAN I EPI TAS" of the Spartans or how miserable was the life of a "ripsaspis" -desserter
Women usualy were not admited in the army but remeber how successfully Thespian, Platean and Argive women aided their men in the defence of the city(rooftiles!!!!). Pausanians mentions the women of the Phockeans and Aitolians hunting down the remants of the Galatean army as psiloi.

I will also bring visual aids of the development and uniforms of the Greek army from ancient to modern post WWII era. If I recall someone in the forum was interested in that.
Kind regards
Stefanos
Brilliant ideas, Stefanos!

You're the kind of man we need! Choose your favourite passages to memorise, and let me know what they are. Is there a play about Thermopylae extant? If not, I might have to write one. I want to present a play, or playlet, in the Classic style. I've seen a couple, updated by the "Actors of Dionysos", but I want to do something with all the forms and formality of Aeschylos' own time. I need to read a few, to get the feel of it again. What's the one that includes a description of the Battle of Salamis?
Aisxylos "Persae" (the Persians) includes the battle of Salamis.
The oath of Platea is in Herodotus
Plutarch's "Laconic Proverbs" and Herodotus can be modified as script showing the eve or aftermath of Thermopulae. (e.g. "Mollon lave", Dienekes)
I will sent you some ideas about Thermopulae on your email.
Generals extolling troops to valor can be presented as monologues.
That eliminates the need for a large number of actors
Troops can say "Hurra" or strike their spearbutts on shields at the end!
Thukidides is full of them.
Pausanias presents Generals urging troops to fight against the Galatians.
Kind regards
Stefanos
Sounds good, Stefanos,

I look forward to receiving your e-mail.

Paul