Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wot, no actors?
Does nobody do Ancient Drama? I would have thought it an excellent way of exploring the culture of ancient Rome and Greece.

If you don't do it, but you'd like to, how about producing one of the Greek plays for next year's Ancient Greek Festival? Go on, I dare you.
Oh, oh, now I'm tempted. One of the comedies by Aristophanes ... Shame I can't act though :roll:
Can't act, eh? How about directing?
Q: How many Directors does it take to change a lightbulb?

A:

One.

No, can we try two?....

Three might help with the balance of the lighting.....

Can you make the third one blue?....

Put a green one behind that lot, but I want to see a crimson glow over the whole scene.....

What the hell are you doing, idiot? One was fine to start with!!
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
So you're an actor, then, Jim? What can you contribute to my Ancient Greek Festival?
Actually, if you want spaceships zooming down onto an alien city state, then I can do that for you :wink:

Matte painter and cg animator - definitely no thespian work (yet).
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
While I can't see doing an entire play, a scene would be pretty useful. The Romans used masks and props and other on stage devices that would be really interesting to stage, but is there a reference book that would describe this logistical aspect?

Not sure how the stuffed phalluses would play in Peoria though.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Comerus Gallus Romus\\n[quote]Hello Londanites!!! Big Grin

Just I have a sugestion... I dont know if I'm inspired by Dionisus right now?...

It certainly looks like it from where I'm standing!
We are already working on the war dance for men. If you'd like to make a contribution to that, I'm sure it would enliven things!

Your other suggestions are certainly worthy of consideration, too. Perhaps you could raise a troupe of beautiful women warriors and bring them over
for some serious experimental archaeology...

As to logistical support, the Greeks used cranes ( hence the Latin phrase "Deus ex machina") and rotating senery trolleys, as well as masks.
We could certainly look at staging some of the X-rated comedies for a restricted audience. Now tell me that Alexandria, Virginia, is too distant for you to take part.
Quote:Actually, if you want spaceships zooming down onto an alien city state, then I can do that for you :wink:

Matte painter and cg animator - definitely no thespian work (yet).

So now's the time to start, right? You're in the area, Jim, just be there! If you haven't got Greek or Early Roman kit, bring your tunica and we'll equip you as a psilos.
Aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh............ eeeeerrrrrrmmmmm........ dwelling on that one ....... does sound interesting though. Something to look into. Let me have a ponder Smile

"...For the rest I stay silent; a great ox stands upon my tongue..."
Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cheers.

Hmmmmm.......
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:Aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh............ eeeeerrrrrrmmmmm........ dwelling on that one ....... does sound interesting though. Something to look into. Let me have a ponder Smile

"...For the rest I stay silent; a great ox stands upon my tongue..."
Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cheers.

Hmmmmm.......

Oh, tell me about it! Them oxen can be a right bugger, can't they? Almost as bad as that damn' gorilla. He did my hair again, last night. Have you noticed, it's always the same side? I reckon the gorilla's left-handed...
Paul
Ahhhhhh - the pair of you - What? Calm down.

Cheers.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Congratulations on your wife's pregnancy, Gioi. If she's like that now, she should be over it before June, 2006, by my reckoning ( August + 9 months= May) just in time! You can bring the whole family, with the sprogg in Ancient Greek nappies...
Seriously, if Ancient Greek enthusiasts don't come, who will?

Paul
Paul,

Where would you want to stage it?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Jim,

I'm currently negotiating with the Head of Classics at Watford Boys' Grammar School to stage the event there. They have a theatre, but we could stage the thing outside.

Gioi,

In this latest picture, you look as if you have put on a little weight, my friend! :oops: What you need to do is to come over here and run around in full panoply, hotly pursued by Thracian peltastoi - that'll have you back in shape in no time! :lol: ( Or you could race around trying to catch and kill me!)

Paul