Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Junkelmann/Stroh vs Strategikon re Commands
Very interesting, thanks.

Again, I hate to sound totallly oblivious, when was the Junkleman commands written?

I seem to get more questions than answers regarding the variations of these drills, which I can easily understand which increases the difficulty in establishing a standard set of commands. SIGH.

Anyways, my reference to the Strategikon being "oldest known Latin" comes from Matt Amt's/Leg. XX site (with apologies to Matt):

>"There is no surviving Roman marching drill from the first century, so most of ours is adapted from the Strategikon of Maurice. This was written in the 6th century AD, but is still the oldest known Latin drill. Other commands have been added to allow necessary actions like drawing swords, etc.--some of these have been adapted from the Ermine Street Guard's drill. Maurice's drill is strikingly similar to an obsolete Greek drill in Arrian's Tactical Manual, from the 2nd century AD."<

I haven't re-read the information on the top of [his] page for some time, so apparently I had only rememberd half of the information/detail of the reference, so my apologies to anyone I've confused. I greatly respect Matt and all his hard work, so I mean no disrespect [to him] or misleading any of you on what I had for reference.

...I have to take lots of chunks of information to use in my presentations, since I only have 30 minutes each program, with anyone from young, fidgety children to teenagers to Adults, so I simply cannot stand there and explain in explicit detail which is what and where it went. It's the Limited-Attention-Span factor and the Ooh-Pretty-Shiny-Armor factor. And I admit I forget specific details myself.
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)

Messages In This Thread
stroh - by Hibernicus - 07-21-2005, 12:44 AM
can of worms...with garum... - by A_Volpe - 07-22-2005, 10:20 PM
Latin commands - by Caius Fabius - 07-24-2005, 04:19 PM
XIIII Commands - by Crispvs - 07-26-2005, 01:09 AM
Re: Junkelmann/Stroh vs Strategikon re Commands - by A_Volpe - 07-26-2005, 10:54 PM
Re: Latin commands - by Ross Cowan - 07-27-2005, 09:54 AM
Stratigekon information - by Caius Fabius - 07-28-2005, 06:49 PM
The century starts in 01 :D - by Caius Fabius - 07-28-2005, 07:51 PM
Tranliterated? - by marsvigilia - 08-03-2005, 05:51 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Junkelmann\'s march Roberto Romani 14 3,292 05-19-2013, 05:37 PM
Last Post: Medusa Gladiatrix