Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Junkelmann\'s march
While reading J. Roth's "The Logistics of the Roman Army at War, 264 BC-235 AD." I stumbled into this:
"A Group of German civilians, dressed as first century legionaries, led by Junkelmann and using his reconstruction of the Roman pack, carried weights totaling at least 43-46 kg for 500 km over the Alps, averaging 25 Km per day."
It sounds interesting and I wonder where could I find more info about this. Any idea?
BTW A group of people dressed like legionaries marching along the roads of the Alps was probably quite a sight. Smile
Hi experiences and the research for this project form the basis of his book 'Die legionen des Augustus. Der römische Soldat im archäologischen Experiment. 9. Auflage. Zabern, Mainz 2003, ISBN 3-8053-0886-8. In the book are many pics and experiences.

Furthermore similar projects are undertaken much more often since. Many European re-enactment groups have done distant marching all accross Europe. I did a walk along the Lippe (Germany) and in Bavaria (souther-Germany) and know several people who did walk in the Alps and along Hadrians wall.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Junkelmann was a pioneer when marching from Italy to Augsburg and that in 1985 for the 2000th anniversary of Augsburg. As Jurjen said, many groups do marches today and I guess this wouldn't be the case without Junkelmann.

In his book which Jurjen also named Junkelmann describes the expreriences of this march but also gives very detailed information on an Augustan legion (equipment, weapons, armor etc.). Unfortunately there is not English translation available (as is the case with all his books).
Medusa.

It is like you say all of his books are in German which is indeed a very sad thing for if the publishers were to do them in English, they would not only have greater sales but so many more might be able to enjoy such information.
I have mentioned this a couple of times to his publishers but they just appear to have this nationalistic view about it which is not only their loss but also a sad thing for so many others.
Brian Stobbs
Quote:Medusa.

It is like you say all of his books are in German which is indeed a very sad thing for if the publishers were to do them in English, they would not only have greater sales but so many more might be able to enjoy such information.
I have mentioned this a couple of times to his publishers but they just appear to have this nationalistic view about it which is not only their loss but also a sad thing for so many others.
Agreed, definitely. His work is so important for English-speaking Roman scholarship as well that it seems strange that it not be considered. There is however also a snobbishness amongst certain academics that holds Romanists should all be completely fluent in German (as well as Latin, Greek, French and Italian) before even considering doing basic research... Perhaps a fair enough criticism from European scholars who have to learn English to do anything internationally, but Junkelmann's books should also be easily accessible to the layman as well.

Panis Militaris in particular is a great discussion of the Roman military diet (including reconstructed meals) and would surely be easily sold in Roman site gift shops across the country. It does have a lot of photos, which may make a new release prohibitively costly at the offset, but I really hope it could be done at some point.

There have been a lot of marches since Junkelmann's, but most don't tend to be published to any sophisticated degree, which is a shame. Die römische Armee im Experiment by Koepfer et al (2011) is the most recent good source I could find (perhaps more recently superceded?), although most/all of it is in German again (fun times with Google translate).

Koepfer, C., Himmler, F.W., and Löffl, J. (eds) 2011. Die römische Armee im Experiment. Berlin: Frank & Timme.
Augsburg is Augusta Vindelicorum right?
No, it´s Augusta Vindelicum. Or, better, Aelia Augusta.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Thanks, Jvrjenivs and Medusa!
Unfortunately I am one of those who know just a few useful sentences in German like "Achtung minen". Confusedmile:
I agree it's a real pity there is no english translation, neither italian for what that matter, just checked, of any of his books.
It's a strange thing that most probably German books are not translated into English whereas it is often the other way around, e.g. the books by Adrian Goldsworthy are available in German. If I would be the author of such books as Junkelmann I would be very much interested that as many people as possible read my works.

Unfortunately it is the same thing with Italian books, those by Dario Battaglia on gladiators are not translated neither into German nor into English. :-(

There is another good book (again in German, but it is very new, so maybe there's the chance for a translation). So far I had the chance only to browse through it shortly but it looks very detailed, also about the forts etc. It's details are:

Fischer, Thomas
"Die Armee der Caesaren - Archäologie und Geschichte"
ISBN : 978-3-7917-2413-3
http://www.verlag-pustet.de/suche.html?i...917-2413-3
Even in German, Junkelmann's book is well worth it for the pictures - a true case of pictures being worth a thousand words. I managed to secure a copy about 3 years ago for a very good price all things considered. I haul it to most events where I set up a display table because of those pictures and the wow facor of showing the map of their route over the Alps. I am, of course, learning many of the German technical terms for things Roman, many of which actually make sense to me as an English speaker/reader.
Quinton Johansen
Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae
A picture can paint a thousand words, but sometimes, you really need the words intended by the original artist....

I agree with the others that there are many books, not limited to the German and Italian authors, but also many in Greek and I am sure other languages that would help everyone, if translated into English.
But, the photos do inspire!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Well, my wife`s a translator for german/english...
we could try to contact a publishing house like "Philip von Zabern" who prints the Junkelmann-books if they are interested in translations.
Might be worth a try?
Als Mensch zu dumm, als Schwein zu kleine Ohren...

Jürgen Graßler

www.schorsch-der-schmied.de
www.facebook.com/pages/AG-Historisches-Handwerk/203702642993872
Surely it doesn't hurt! Even I'm afraid is unlikely...
Thanks Xorx, that would be nice and I work on the principle "If you don't ask, you don't get"! I'd be interested in a translated copy as I have struggled for MONTHS over the first chapter!!
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:Well, my wife`s a translator for german/english...
we could try to contact a publishing house like "Philip von Zabern" who prints the Junkelmann-books if they are interested in translations.
Might be worth a try?

A friend of mine is also a translater and there were some talks about translating the gladiator book but unfortunately nothing happenend in the end, I guess it is because Junkelmann bought back the rights on the photos from Philipp von Zabern.