Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who had the greatest impact on future cultures
Quote:</em></strong><hr>Also its aftermath and the way it was dealt with, with poor guidance from the United States President, Wilson and Senate, it was just asking for another war<hr><br>
Are you kidding me? Although the US was instrumental in helping the allies win, the US govt was also pretty much IGNORED by the old countries of Europe at Versailles. Wilson's plan would have helped HEAL the wounds of the Great War, instead vindictive countries like France demanded ruinous reparations from Germany (who didn't even START the war) and THAT was what helped fan the next war. Neat stuff like stripping Germany of its colonies and limiting its military also helped.<br>
<br>
For WWII, I mostly blame the French delegation. And then, when the Germans marched back into the Saarland, France did nothing -- the NUMBER ONE military force at the time, did nothing. Hell, the Germans were ready to scurry back if they had been opposed, but they weren't and THAT is how WWII really got started.<br>
<br>
Please do not be so quick to blame the United States of America for all the World's ills -- personally, I wish we'd STOP helping the rest of the world and fix our problems first. Of course, as soon as that happened, we'd be blamed for allowing the rest of the world to collapse.<br>
Marshall J. Wise <p>DECIMUS MERCATIUS VARIANUS<br>
<br>
LEGIO IX HISPANA<br>
NorCal Chapter<br>
<br>
Netscape Aim/AOL screen name: Sturmkatze<br>
<br>
Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt.</p><i></i>
DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS
a.k.a.: Marsh Wise
Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

"A fondness for power is implanted in most men, and it is natural to abuse it when acquired." -- Alexander Hamilton

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.... But then I repeat myself." ~Mark Twain

[img size=150]http://www.romanobritain.org/Graphics/marsh_qr1.png[/img]
(Oooh, Marshall, you cannot use an icky modern QR code, it is against all policies and rules.)
You know, actually some of those dialects in this country have been traced to regional dialects in parts of the U.K. There's an awesome book about these sorts of pattern called <em>Albion's Seed</em> by David Hackett Fischer, which I highly recommend to anyone interested in U.S. history. He doesn't do it just with accents; he traces linkages in language, folkways, cultural trends in four regions of the U.K. and show how those patterns continue (with, of course, considerable evolution) on into U.S. history, helping to explain many of the cultural differences in different regions of the U.S. For instance, he traces cultural trends in East Anglia to trends in New England and in southwestern England to the tidewater region of Virgina and Maryland. Believe me, if you're interested in linguistic and cultural history, it's fascinating stuff.<br>
<br>
Aaron <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p200.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=aglarsen>AGLarsen</A> at: 6/2/04 2:35 am<br></i>
Decimius:<br>
<br>
Don't blame me with putting the problems of the world on America. I have lived every single day of my life as an American citizen and have great pride in my country, although I don't always agree with actions taken. Wilson was one of our worst presidents, and yes you are right about being ignored, but wilson was still a bad president, who could have taken steps or made decisions to help encourage congress to allow the US to join the league of nations. They didn't thus America isolated themselves, the depression was another big reason for that, so hitler was able to conquer europe and the USA was not going to help, until either they got attacked, or their greatest ally, Great Britian got conquered. Siunce I sense this is going to go into politics, I will stop now. We can continue this conversation via email. [email protected] <br>
<br>
<br>
Peace<br>
<br>
Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus <p></p><i></i>
"Freedom was at stake- freedom, which whets the courage of brave men"- Titus Livius

Nil recitas et vis, Mamerce, poeta videri.
Quidquid vis esto, dummodo nil recites!- Martial
Guys,<br>
<br>
discuss as many as you want but leave modern politics out of this.<br>
discussions regarding modern politics are not allowed according to the forum rules. <p>-------------------------------------------------------<br>
Rome did not create a great empire by having meetings -- they did it by killing all those who opposed them.<br>
<br>
<br>
</p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p200.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=pelgr003>pelgr003</A> at: 6/3/04 7:24 am<br></i>
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
Thats why I ended it, fully knowing the rules. <p></p><i></i>
"Freedom was at stake- freedom, which whets the courage of brave men"- Titus Livius

Nil recitas et vis, Mamerce, poeta videri.
Quidquid vis esto, dummodo nil recites!- Martial