Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who had the greatest impact on future cultures
<FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>Which one of these people/events had the greatest impact on future cultures. If one you think that was not on the list that should be please respond. </FONT><FORM method=post action="http://p200.ezboard.com/fromanarmytalkfrm2.processVote?topicID=845.topic"><table border=0 cellpadding=3 cellspacing=0 width="55%"><tbody><tr><td><input type="radio" name="choice" value="1"><FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>Gaius Julius Caesar's conquering of Gaul(brought Latin)</FONT></td></tr><tr><td><input type="radio" name="choice" value="2"><FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>William of Normandy invading England 1066(created english)</FONT></td></tr><tr><td><input type="radio" name="choice" value="3"><FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>Constantine making Christianity offical religion(it then spread throught europe)</FONT></td></tr><tr><td><input type="radio" name="choice" value="4"><FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>French Revolution(created a vast deposing of monarchies)</FONT></td></tr><tr><td><input type="radio" name="choice" value="5"><FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>World War One(end of one age, and the beginning of another)</FONT></td></tr></tbody></table><P><input type=submit value="Vote"></form><a HREF=http://p200.ezboard.com/fromanarmytalkfrm2.showMessage?topicID=845.topic&pollResults=on><FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=1>Show results</FONT></A> <p></p><i></i>
Since i am a native speaker of american I chose the invasion of england, because it forced the mix of german with french to create english, which American is a branch of. The two languages of America and english are very different in case you know. How ever the integration of latin from caesar created french so it can swing either way. <p></p><i></i>
Wow, that's a tough one; I'm going to have to think before I vote on that one. I realize that you only have five possibilities, and it's hard to argue that any of them don't belong, but here are some others that I think could rank right up there:<br>
<br>
1. The Meiji Restoration: probably the most important event in world history that no one seems to have ever heard of (which is why I did a doctoral thesis on the subject). It probably had as great an impact on Modern Asia as the French Revolution had on the Western World; after it, Japan goes from swashbuckling samurai to industrial great power beating the crap out of Russia in just 50 years.<br>
<br>
2. The Wittenburg Door Incident leading to The Reformation: Not too many events changed the worldviews of so many people over such a wide area, and that's not even getting into its political and perhaps even economic ramifications.<br>
<br>
3. The Industrial Revolution (or some sort of more specific event associated w/ it?): nothing has changed the lifestyle of ordinary folks more than the good old IR. Think about it, people's lives (at least in industrialized countries) are more different from that of those 200 years ago, than those people's lives were from those millenia ago, materially.<br>
<br>
Aaron. <p></p><i></i>
How did William create English? He attempted to replace it with French! And failed.<br>
<br>
Valete,<br>
Valerius/Robert <p></p><i></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
The creation of english was set in motion by william invading england and eveuntually the mixing french with german. the poll is about the person/event and how it impacted future generations. So after william invaded, may have been long after, english was the ultimate result and is now the most widley spoken language in the world. <p></p><i></i>
You'll actually find that Chinese & Spanish are spoken more than English, as far as native speakers go. <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
true however english is the most common second language among non native speakers. considering that the three main english speaking countries don't even equal half the size of chinas population, english in the international business language as well, i should have mentioned that before.<br>
<br>
Getting on to some other important events I was thinking about would be,<br>
<br>
1.) the Matel defeat of the Muslims at Pottiers to save christianity in europe<br>
<br>
<br>
2.) The unification of Germany which would eventually lead to rising tension between france and germany because of the franco-prussian war, as well as being a big cause of the outbreak of world war, along with alliance system.<br>
<br>
3.) The defeat of the Spanish Armada<br>
<br>
4.) the survival of Vienna during the besieging from the ottomans.<br>
<br>
5.) The fall of Constantinople<br>
6.) The great schism in 1054<br>
Those are just some there are a lot more.<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Pompeius wrote:<br>
<br>
Quote:</em></strong><hr>The creation of english was set in motion by william invading england and eveuntually the mixing french with german.<hr><br>
<br>
I'm afraid I have to agree with Robert, at least to a large extent. English predated William by 500 years - it was "Germanic", as is Modern English, but it was not "German". Robert is right in that William and his successors tried to impose French on England and failed, with the kings of England speaking both languages until the Fourteenth Century and speaking solely English from at least the Fifteenth.<br>
<br>
What the Norman Conquest did do was impose a great many French words on English, which effectively "softened" the language up, allowing it to become the versatile language it is today, and one that can easily accept and absorb words from all kinds of languages. But William did not "create" English - his conquest simply changed the existing language into its Middle English form.<br>
Cheers, <p>Tim O'Neill / Thiudareiks Flavius<br>
<br>
Visit 'Clades Variana' - Home of the Varus Film Project<br>
<br>
Help create the film of Publius Quinctilius Varus' lost legions.<br>
<br>
Come to my [url=http://www.ancientworlds.net/member/Gunthigg/Thiudareiks" target="top]Stathigg[/url] in [url=http://www.ancientworlds.net/aw/City/23413" target="top]Germania[/url] at the [url=http://www.ancientworlds.net/" target="top]Ancient Worlds[/url] community.</p><i></i>
Tim ONeill / Thiudareiks Flavius /Thiudareiks Gunthigg

HISTORY FOR ATHEISTS - New Atheists Getting History Wrong
thank you for clearing that up. It appear I need to brush up on my english history a bit, sorry for the confusion. <p></p><i></i>
Since I have been sounding like a total moron in this thread I will edit my answer a little bit by stating that william's invasion helped create the more modern english which in turn branched into a few different forms of english, American english and british english are two branches. <p></p><i></i>
P.M.,<br>
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp There are literally hundreds of standard and non-standard forms of English in the world today. In the U.S. alone there are many recognized, distinctive forms: i.e. Network Standard, Northern, Southern, Midland, Black English Vernacular, Gullah, Apalachian, etc. There are even new varieties that academics are just now codifying and classifying. To whit:<br>
<br>
eEnglish- online language for those who kint red r spel gud n lik use alotta<br>
webonics<br>
Spanglish<br>
Yat<br>
Calicool<br>
Renspeak<br>
Cutesypuke<br>
Orlander or Viggothic<br>
Mugglish <p></p><i></i>
There are literally hundreds of standard and non-standard forms of English in the world today. In the U.S. alone there are many recognized, distinctive forms: i.e. Network Standard, Northern, Southern, Midland, Black English Vernacular, Gullah, Apalachian, etc. There are even new varieties that academics are just now codifying and classifying. To whit:<br>
<br>
eEnglish- online language for those who kint red r spel gud n lik use alotta lie, ya no, smiley feces.<br>
webonics- white kids who try to sound black online, "Awite?"<br>
Spanglish- git outta ma face, esse!<br>
Yat- specific to native New Orleaneans, as in 'Wher' ya'll at, bruh?"<br>
Renspeak- specific to Rennaisance Faires, but resembles no known historical dialect; seems to be put together &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp from Monty Python vignettes without a knowledge of British useage.<br>
Cutesypuke- teenage girl chatter when they are in a good mood<br>
Orlandish or Viggothic-female LOTR film fans with very strong feelings; they do not speak the same &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp language.<br>
Mugglish - teenagers who try to sound as if they are a Harry Potter film, but fall into the same trap as &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Renspeakers.<br>
<br>
There is actually some literature on five of thesse. Articles forthcoming on the others within eighteen months.<br>
<br>
Wade Heaton<br>
[email protected] <br>
www.togaman.com <p></p><i></i>
That's pretty funny stuff, Togaman. I know during my 1 or 2 visits to a Ren Faire, I found the outrageous dialect incredibly annoying. Once, though, it had a blacksmith with a very diverse array of wares, and I had my first chance to pick up a gladius that felt like it was weighted right, and it drastically changed my impression of Roman weaponry. I'd always thought that a gladius looked rather primitive and awkward, but that thing felt like it was made to fit in my hand and like it was an extension of my arm. It's been so long now, I wish I could remember if it was a Mainz or Pompey style gladius.<br>
<br>
Aaron <p></p><i></i>
I still have to say WWI. The Great War did more than just tear things up, it totally changed an ENTIRE generation of people. The world went from something a bit more innocent and optimistic, to a cold, hardened place. My opinion, I guess.<br>
<br>
The Great War also set the stage for WWII, which did even more to change society and the world.<br>
<br>
Personally, and I doubt anyone will change my opinion on this, but I really think it would have been better if the Central Powers had won, or at least, if the U.S. hadn't entered the war, then it might have petered out to a stand-still. Either way, there would have been no vindictive Versailles Treaty to give birth to the Second World War. Was the Kaiser that bad? NO, he was really not. I find the Great War one of the saddest things in history.<br>
Best, <strong>DMV</strong> <p>DECIMUS MERCATIUS VARIANUS<br>
<br>
LEGIO IX HISPANA<br>
NorCal Chapter<br>
<br>
Netscape Aim/AOL screen name: Sturmkatze<br>
<br>
Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt.</p><i></i>
DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS
a.k.a.: Marsh Wise
Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

"A fondness for power is implanted in most men, and it is natural to abuse it when acquired." -- Alexander Hamilton

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.... But then I repeat myself." ~Mark Twain

[img size=150]http://www.romanobritain.org/Graphics/marsh_qr1.png[/img]
(Oooh, Marshall, you cannot use an icky modern QR code, it is against all policies and rules.)
A couple of things.<br>
<br>
First, it is very interesting to think that in my country alone there are may different forms of english I didn't even think would be considered different types as they are all related to the American form of english, but upon reading the other threads it does maked sense that those should be considered as different. Its weird to think that a country still in its early stages compared to the countries of Europe can generate so many different forms of one main language.<br>
<br>
Second, some comments on the World War One impact. I view world war one as the first step in reshaping the world to what it is today. The war itself revolutionized warfare and brought new technologies and old ones head one in a new war that had never before been witnessed on a scale that large. The aftermath of the war was devestating. It ended the lives of countless young men of a what is called the lost generation today. Also its aftermath and the way it was dealt with, with poor guidance from the United States President, Wilson and Senate, it was just asking for another war, and it got it starting with, some say the invasion of China by Japan, some say the invasion of Poland in 1939, but no matter when it started, this war was the most devestating that the world has ever seen. The loss of lives in these two wars in Europe was of a level never before witnessed and us Americans and Canadians alike sometimes don't appreciate the struggle these two countries went through to preserve their way of life, it is something we have never had to go through to the level they did. Our greatest threat was from a small island thousands of miles away whom made a great mistake December 7, 1941. The aftermath of world war two set the stage for what the world is today, and without world war one there is no world war two. <p></p><i></i>
"Freedom was at stake- freedom, which whets the courage of brave men"- Titus Livius

Nil recitas et vis, Mamerce, poeta videri.
Quidquid vis esto, dummodo nil recites!- Martial