Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dura Europos shields?
Ave!

Does anyone have information about the other D.E. shields mentioned in this article:

http://www.fanaticus.org/dba/guides/rom ... dslim.html

It sounds like the author read about the shields from a French paper somewhere, but I was wondering if there are pictures of these other shields anywhere? I have seen the Yale pictures of the beautiful elaborate scutum, but I would like to see these other aux. shields, too, if possible.

Also, I read previous RAT postings discussing whether or not these shields were encaustic or casein painted (or casein with wax top layer)....has this debate been settled by academics once and for all? Or are we still guessing?

Anyone have any links?

Gratis!

Britannicus
Gaius Aquilius Britannicus
aka. Todd Searls
As you may know, the French archaeologist Franz Cumont dug at Dura Europos in 1922/23, prior to the more famous French Academy/Yale University excavations of 1928-37. His report, published in 1926, must be the source of the remarks which you found on the web.

In the definitive publication of the Dura Europos arms and armour (S. James, Final Report VII, 2004), Cumont's "Fragment A" is listed as item 621 (p.180). Apparently, its current whereabouts are unknown, and Cumont never illustrated it.
Cumont's "Fragment B" is listed as item 630 (pp.183-4), and "Fragment C" is listed as item 622 (p.180). Again, current location unknown and never illustrated.

If you are interested in the oval shields, there are colour reproductions of the famous "Homeric Shield" (item 616, pp.176-8; Plate 6 on p.xxvii), "Amazon Shield" (item 617, pp.178-9; Plates 7 [front] & 8 [rear] on p.xxviii), and "Shield of the Warrior God" (item 618, p.179; Plate 9 on p.xxix).
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Gratis!

95 pounds for the book! Confusedhock: Well worth it I'm sure, but I will have to wait for christmas to ask for that as a gift.

I love how archaelogically important items get 'lost'. So many finds, though, its probably more common than I would like to think.

Britannicus
Gaius Aquilius Britannicus
aka. Todd Searls

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Scutum from Dura-Europos mid-3rd century A.D. Rado 24 5,322 01-08-2014, 07:55 PM
Last Post: Rado
  A soldier of Dura-Europos ROMan 16 3,504 07-29-2013, 07:37 PM
Last Post: ROMan
  Dura shields were parade shields? San Fratis 6 2,577 10-04-2011, 10:56 AM
Last Post: San Fratis