Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Luxor wall paintings
Hello,

i am a new member on this forum.
Has anyone picturs from the watercolour sketches taken from frescos which once adorned the walls of the shrine of the standards in the headquarters of the Roman fort built into the temple at Luxor?

Thanks,
Christian
Hi Diocletianus / Christian,

Welcome to RAT. I can't find anything though some tourist sites and books say that some of the frescoes can still be seen. Has anyone been?

Cheers
Murray K Dahm

\'\'\'\'No matter how many you kill, you cannot kill your successor\'\'\'\' - Seneca to Nero - Dio 62

\'\'\'\'There is no way of correcting wrongdoing in those who think that the height of virtue consists in the execution of their will\'\'\'\' - Ammianus Marcellinus 27.7.9
You need to read I. Kalavrezou - Maxeiner 'The Imperial Chamber at Luxor', Dumbarton Oaks Papers 29 Washington 1975 or

U.Monneret De Villard 'The Temple of the Imperial Cult at Luxor', Archaeologia 95 XCV 1953

Both articles contain pictures of the 19th century watercolour copies which are now in the Bodleian library Oxford. Sadly only fragments now remain of the originals at Luxor temple.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Thanks for your reply`s on my question.

Unfortunatly it would be hard to become copy`s of that Books...!

But another question, which belt is used at this time? Is it possible that the 3rd century "ring buckle belt" is in use at that time or is it a forerunner of the broad 4th century belt???

Christian
Hello Christian

Both articles should be available from a good University Library. However I did include one of the images in 'Roman Military Clothing 2' published by Osprey, Oxford plus reconstructions of two of the figures. However the cloaks worn in the Luxor originals generally obscure belt details.

Graham.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quote:Roman fort built into the temple at Luxor
Where can we read details of this ?!

Lucy.
** Vincula/Lucy **
Hello Lucy

I know of only one report, written in French about the Roman fort at Luxor. Sadly I only kept some pictures of the reconstructions and line drawings of the paintings. If I can track it down again I will let you know.

Essentially the Temple with which we are familiar with today was converted into a Roman fort in the third century. The name Luxor derives from El Qasr the Arabic for fortified camp, a reference to the Roman Fort.

If you visit the site today you will see the remains of some of the bastions from the fort but most visitors walk straight past them on their way to the Temple.

The paintings in the Chapel of the standards were originally believed to be Christian paintings. They are however images of the emperor Diocletian surrounded by officers and soldiers. Scenes like this possibly existed in every Roman fort and if more had survived they would have provided us with superb references to Roman military equipment and clothing.

Unfortunately the Luxor paintings are no longer as well preserved as when they were first discovered. As one modern guide book remarks 'fortunately they are wearing off to reveal the beautiful Egyptian reliefs underneath!'

Graham.

So we're NOT talking about the LUXOR in Las Vegas?

jus' checkin'
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
No, that's Ceasar's Palace in Las Vegas where they have all the Roman stuff!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Well, I feel that I should have said something on this but I'm passing a strange busy/lazy phase... :oops:
I have collected all the major bibliography (mostly in German) on the Luxor paintings and have actually visited and taken pictures of the few pitiful remains. I also ordered detailed scans of the original Wilkinson's watercolours from the Bodleian Library (permission to reproduce them not included Sad )
Maybe concrete questions could get concrete answers from me, if you're still interested... :wink:

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Hello,

At first, Graham I posses your book and I find you have done an excellent work. After a long search I have found a site which shows one picture of the chamber and a drawing of the central apsis.

http://www.uibk.ac.at/c/c6/c614/Institu ... lDipl.html

I also found a drawing of the complete left panel in the book "Konstantin der Grosse", Bruno Bleckmann published by Rowohlt Taschenbuch Verlag and a drawing of the apsis can also be found in the book "Epochenwandel ?" published by Philipp von Zabern Verlag.

But the right panel...???

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Luxor Late roman LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS 16 5,619 06-22-2011, 01:30 AM
Last Post: Paul Elliott