Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman legionary in Poland?
Supposedly 1 year ago in Obiszów, near Głogów in Poland is discovered a Roman officer's tomb. You know?? This is true or false? In German book for 1913 year Głogów (German "Glogau") may be roman camp...
(Sorry. I'm not speak English. I learn Deutsch).
Hi Sclavinia,
Welcome to RAT!
It would be interesting if that were true. Do you have any more information?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
There was a Roman stele in the Warsaw Museum of history, but I could not get permission to photograph it, maybe they are related.
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Near Obiszów is 2 fortiffied settlements (Iron age).
Book's title is "Geschichte der Stadt glogau und des Glogauer Landes", 1913, Julius Blafchke.
Legionary tomb may be lie - i learn this from my 2 friends.
PS.
You understand my "double talking" Big Grin ??
Hi Sclavinia,

welcome to R.A.T. Your 'double talking' is very well understandle, I have only one correction. The author's name is surely Julius Blaschke - I googled through the web and found this man as Colonel of "Infantry Regiment Nr. 60 Carl von Nagy" that belonged to Austro-Hungarian army up to 1918. But unfortunately I found no reference to the grave of a Roman officer. It would be nice to hear more about this very interesting topic.

Greets - Uwe
Greets - Uwe
Legionary tomb is no in this book. In this book i learn Głogów (Glogau) may be old Roman camp.
Hi Sclavinia,

Welcome to RAT. What period would be most likely for a camp to have been built do you think? Constantius in the fourth century?

Cheers

Murray
Murray K Dahm

\'\'\'\'No matter how many you kill, you cannot kill your successor\'\'\'\' - Seneca to Nero - Dio 62

\'\'\'\'There is no way of correcting wrongdoing in those who think that the height of virtue consists in the execution of their will\'\'\'\' - Ammianus Marcellinus 27.7.9
Hmm... IV century is too late. Max III century.
Gretings Sclavinia and welcome to the Forum! If it were a roman period tomb it should be outside the original setlement.
Animals die, friends die, and I shall die, but one thing never dies, and that is the reputation we leave behind after our death.
No man loses Honour who had any in the first place. - Syrus
Octavianvs ( Johnn C. ) MODERATOR ROMAN ARMY TALK
Click for Rule for Posting [url:3135udah]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
I'm not sure if this is what you're referring to... Głogów is in Silesia in southwestern Poland, and Melnik is a ways across the border in Bohemia in the north-central Czech Republic (not to be confused with the Melnik in Bulgaria). Strangely enough, the only news source I can find for this one is in Classical Greek(!) at Akropolis World News, but it's dated May 1, 2005: [url:2wwvn0mk]http://users.ox.ac.uk/~clas0078/news_latest/01_05_05.htm[/url]. The link to it is titled "Did Roman legions reach Bohemia?"

The essence of the Greek is that the remains of a Roman soldier have been discovered near Melnik in Bohemia, and it gives some historical background for Augustan campaigns in the region. Unfortunately there's no source or contact info or the like. Maybe someone who knows Czech can dig something out of Google (I can't seem to get anything...)?
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
A little more: Głogów is situated in ancient roman Amber Track.
Hi,
I'm from Czech Republic. The Romans certainly were in Czech Republic - we have even one permanent (or at least it was probably planed to be permanent) military encampment in south Moravia (locality MuÅ¡ov-Burgstall some 80 km north from Vindobona, from the time of Marcomanic wars) and some temporary camps (same period). However I have never heard about Roman finds near Mělník. There is a theory that the Roman army may have been operating in central Bohemia during the campaign of Tiberius and Saturninus against Maroboduus in AD 6, but there isn't any archaeological evidence for this (so far as I know).
I'll ask and then I'll let you know.
Greetings
Alexandr Kolouch
The Greek refers to an Augustan campaign against "Makoboudos" in AD 6. I've emailed the guy who runs the site, so hopefully we'll have more info soon.
Dan Diffendale
I should have double-checked my Greek... stratopedon is an encampment, not a foot-soldier... :oops:
The remains of a Roman CAMP were found, not the remains of a SOLDIER. He said his source was an item posted on http://www.culturaclasica.com/ a while ago, but unfortunately they don't seem to have archived it.
Dan Diffendale
Hi,
I've talked to an archeologist about the findings at Mělník. He said, there has been found a ditch which looked like a typical Roman "V" shaped ditch. No other proofs that it's Roman. So while it could be part of a Roman camp, it could easily be from other period of history. He is rather sceptical about it being a Roman camp.
Greetings
Alexandr