Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Color of the roman uniform
Graham,
Yes, those are both sources you are already familiar with, but important references nonetheless. I am looking forward to volume 3!

Dan
Quote: I will some miniatures paint as the first roman republican legion

Wolverinus, only out of curiousity, which scale do You use for Your miniatures?

Uwe
Greets - Uwe
I start 1/72, because they are big enough for details, but small enough for a big army :twisted:
my target: the complete LEGIO I of the roman republic (300 equitarii, 1200 velitii, 1200 hastatii, 1200 principes, 600 triarii) :twisted: :evil: :twisted:
but to honest if I complete one manipel of them, I will be very, very, very happy: Smile D lol: Smile D lol:
Woverinus,
Did you have the chance to see my three full sized, painted Roman legions during the big exhibition in Rosenheim a couple of years ago. Our reenactment legion was there also, and all of the big figures were wearing my gear.

If you did not see them, there were two HaT repbulican legions (I helped design these sets), and one esci legion, each legion had 120 cavalry, and there was an addition 480 numidian cavalry. I have lost the photos in my move back to the U.S. Perhaps another German Rat reader can post some pics.

Dan
I would also imagine that legionary's may have just washed their tunica in water...perhaps bleaches and soaps were an expense many didn't bother with. A quick wash to remove the surface gunk and the stink may have been enough.

Dan, it is probable those egyptian legionarys would have worn lighter colours because of the climate. I wouldn't want to wear any heat absorbing fabric colours either. I believe there was a reference to the Judaen legions wearing lighter colours as well.

Legion: TBD
A pay receipt from Masada belonging to C. Messius a soldier recruited from Beirut mentions a linen tunic as well as a white one. C. Messius was possibly a cavalryman serving with Legio X Fretensis. The linen tunic cost 7 denarii and clothing items are amongst the most expensive and frequent items deducted from soldiers pay.

Wool however was probably the more common material for garments even in the east.

Thanks for the reply Dan and I hope you will enjoy Roman Military Clothing 3.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Magnus,
The light pink or salmon colored late Roman tunics depicted on the shield from Trier may be a "hot weather" war tunic for the soldiers wering them are depicted in battle if Africans. These are not "faded" tunics since thay have a dark "garnet" red hem band.

Dan

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Tunic Color Correus 27 8,440 09-09-2007, 10:49 AM
Last Post: Tarbicus