Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ready to Go 28mm Hand-painted Romans at Walmart!
I discovered at Walmart some fairly nice 1st century legionaries and archers, in the popular 28mm scale most commonly used by wargamers that use metal miniatures. These are plastic and designed for a game called "Heroscape". They have perfect Leg XIIII shield emblems and were probably inspired from my book, in which many Roman products from China are using. This is a supplementarty pack for the main game, which seems to be a history-fantasy free-for-all with historic Samuarais, WWII GIs, Dragons, dinosaur-riding orcs, sci-fi robot types and everything in between. The figures average at about $1.50 each, which is not bad for hand painted figures of this scale. It would be a chance for someone to build up a ready to go army without taking the time to paint them. Alas, I already have over 10,000 painted Romans in the smaller 23-25mm scale, so they are of no use to me now.
Dan

Dalln
Yes! Ive seen he Heroscape Figures, Very interesting to hear your opinion on them!!

Just like the Ignite 12 inch figures, they Obviously take ALOT of inspiration from your book!

Im going to shave that metal patch of my turf cutter now! Smile

-Gordak
AKA: Sam Johnson
Gordak,
For the "bulky" type figures so popular with D & D type gamers, I think they are great, but I believe the "cheap" 23-25 mm plastic figures like HaT, Zvezda, Revell, Italeri, etc. are far more anatomically correct, and the bulk of my wargame and display armies are composed of these. (I helped develop most of the HaT ancients).

But for people interested in figures compatible with most "mainstream" wargamers, this would be a good way to build a Roman Army, and just buy and paint metal supplementary figures like cornicens and standard bearers, etc. You could also modify these figures with a lot of good, scale accessories that come with Zveda's "cursed legion" sets of skeletonized Romans!

By biggest compaint with the Heroscapes, is that to build a scale "legion" you will end up with a force early as large of archers. These could probably be converted to regular aux. infantry too. Oh, they are all carry Spatha, but these are easy enough to convert.

Oh, if anybody buys the command set to get the Centurion, I will trade a Roman archer for the blue orc guy riding the raptor, (though I really just want the dinosaur).

Dan
this is the link to the game:

[url:26sm41vf]http://www.hasbro.com/pl/page.browse/dn/heroscape/default.cfm[/url]
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
Mr. Peterson,
What is your opinion of the Gripping Beast and Foundry ancient wargaming figures?I have just started collecting HAT figure sets and I'm very pleased with them.I am anxiously awaiting their Late Roman Infantry sets,did you consult on them also?

Magnus Maximus.
Magnus,
I have not kept up much with the metal figures now that there are so many excellent 1/72mm plastics available. Generally though, the so-called 25mm metal figures usually range closer to 28-30mm and have unrealistically large heads and stubby legs. People are so used to this look now that many don't notice how anatomically incorrect they are, and think that true 1/72 figures are "too thin". In reality, virtually all 1/72 plastics are scaled down versions of much larger, extremely well sculpted master figures, whereas metal miniatures are usually made from a same scale ca. 28.mm master. This is why they are usually so distorted, although many people seem to favor this "look". You can certainly add more facial detail when the head is three times the normal size!

Yes, I did help design the late Romans. Also planned is a set of "light" infantry.

Dan
I think the 28mm fat headed figures have Alot of personality, and thats what keeps the interest. On the gaming table, 200 troops is a big battle, :lol: nothing like reality at all.

If I had the space for 10 to 30k realistic hat figures, I would go for it because it would look awesome! But alas, My humble dinning room table looks better with the fat heads.

on the topic of the Metal minis
I like Gripping Beast the most.

-Gordak
AKA: Sam Johnson
I believe the "cheap" 23-25 mm plastic figures like HaT, Zvezda, Revell, Italeri, etc. are far more anatomically correct, and the bulk of my wargame and display armies are composed of these. (I helped develop most of the HaT ancients).

Dan 2 questions where can you get these figures? Also I had your book but someone stole it along with some other books and other items. I would like to replace your book Ddo you know where I can get a copie? I tried Barnes and noble to order but they couldnt find it. Thanks
Animals die, friends die, and I shall die, but one thing never dies, and that is the reputation we leave behind after our death.
No man loses Honour who had any in the first place. - Syrus
Octavianvs ( Johnn C. ) MODERATOR ROMAN ARMY TALK
Click for Rule for Posting [url:3135udah]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
Gordak,
Think about this, if you only have the dining room table for a battlefield, you can probably put 400 23mm plastics in the area 200 28mm metal "big heads" take up, and you can probably buy 5-10 plastics for the price of one metal!

Octavianus,
I see you list three different locations, possibly due to archaeological work? In America, the most complete source I know of is "Michigan Toy Soldier". They have virtually everything in the way of 1:72 figures, and every other scale, though not the expensive "big head" metal wargaming figures.

If you are "new" to all this, and want to see what you buy first (and are in Germany), there is a great plastic figure show in Herne which is also close to Roman Haltern and other North German sites. There are figure show in the U.S. too, and Michigan keeps an active listing. I am sure there are good shops and shows in Italy too.

My book is imported to the U.S. from Britian by Motorbooks, and think they do retail. I usualy have a few on hand if all else fails.

Dan

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Romans in 28mm Praefectusclassis 8 1,138 10-19-2022, 01:59 PM
Last Post: Praefectusclassis
  IIIrd Century Romans in 28mm Theo 3 2,041 09-27-2009, 01:18 AM
Last Post: M. Demetrius
  25 or 28mm late Romans Conal 15 9,159 10-01-2008, 12:10 PM
Last Post: Count Theo