Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
25 or 28mm late Romans
Hi

Can anyone please point me to who makes the best ones ?

Cheers Conal
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Greetings Conal,

You might try this site for information on 20-24mm (1/72) plastic figures:

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Index.htm

As for 28mm, the thread at the top of this topic lists practically every manufacturer of figures in both plastic and metal in all scales.

From my admittedly limited knowledge, it seems that The Foundry is doing some of the best work in 28mm metal though no doubt other members have their own favorites and will weigh in with their recommendations.

Good hunting!

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
I agree with Narukami about Foundry; they have some beautiful figures.

Also, try Gripping Beast, they have a very good range of Late Romans as well. The figures are 28mm but a little smaller than Foundry's.
Adam Carr
Black Tree Design makes very nice Late Roman infantry. Their cavalry is less impressive, though still pretty good. However, they don't make anything other than plain vanilla cavalry. Also, the auxilia are good, but the tunics lack cast-on embroidered bits.
[Image: artorivs-mcmlx.gif]
[size=75:y4iezjz4]David Sullivan
Lynnwood, WA USA[/size]
Quote:Black Tree Design makes very nice Late Roman infantry.
Do they? I could not find them - what do they call them?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
They're hidden as a subset of the Roman catalogue. On the Miniatures Catalogue page, go to Romans > Late Roman. (They're not under Ancients.)
Lynnwood, WA USA[/size]
Salve!!!
the best mark for III century is www.aandaminiatures.co.uk .
The miniatures are based in Dura Europos archeological register
This is one example,
http://www.aandaminiatures.co.uk/galler ... omans2.jpg
QUIM RÍPODAS
LEGIO PRIMA GERMANICA/SEPTIMANI SENIORES
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.primagermanica.com">http://www.primagermanica.com
Nice ones, Quim!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I second that.

By coincidence I was reading about Dura Europos on the week-end. Now I don't know whether to build a Late Republic "Sulla" army or a mid 3rd century one!
Adam Carr
Quote:Now I don't know whether to build a Late Republic "Sulla" army or a mid 3rd century one!

Well, the obvious choice is to build both! Big Grin

I concur with those who recommend A and A Minis. I am about halfway through painting a 3rd c. army using these figures. I am very impressed. A and A plan to release 4th c. Romans as well, though I expect we won't see the bulk of these until well into 2007.

If you go to the A and A website, you can see photos of my minis on the forum at [url:397drra9]http://aanda.forumcircle.com/viewtopic.php?t=13[/url].
Lynnwood, WA USA[/size]
So You are Aurelian there, Artorius1960? Very, very nice paint work !!!

Greets - Uwe
Greets - Uwe
Yes, on that forum I have arrogated myself to imperial status. Glad you like the figures, Uwe. I hope to have photos of a few more units to post there shortly.
Lynnwood, WA USA[/size]
Guys,

The 3/4th range has begun to be released with Dalmatian and Sarmatian types already available.

Soon to appear also are some cavalry suitable for horse guards in the 2/3rd century range. I love this range!

Septimius
I have a 25mm Essex late Roman army that I will part with. Anyone interested should drop me a line privately.
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
hello all'

i've bin into war-gaming for years but only recently have i ventured into the realm of historical war-gaming.

im building an imperial roman army with the 28mm figures from foundry they have a very nice selection so far'

Artorius1960 those are very nice figures i think you did a great job painting them that look very lively.

dose Black Tree Design have a good imperial Roman cavalry that seems to be the one thing that im having a hard time finding.

once again great job on the figures keep up good work looking forward to seeing more of your 3rd c. army as you get them done.
Jericho D. Flint

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Romans in 28mm Praefectusclassis 8 1,121 10-19-2022, 01:59 PM
Last Post: Praefectusclassis
  IIIrd Century Romans in 28mm Theo 3 2,032 09-27-2009, 01:18 AM
Last Post: M. Demetrius
  Ready to Go 28mm Hand-painted Romans at Walmart! Daniel S Peterson 8 4,850 04-28-2005, 11:01 AM
Last Post: Daniel S Peterson