Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Signa for Legio XIIII GMV
I scanned the painting of the Dura vexillum at 600dpi:

http://66.66.131.145/roman/DuraVexillum.jpg

It's hard to see, but from this image and another image of the vexillum in Feugere's book, I think it shows an eagle on a perch. There definitely no evidence for any unit lettering.

On the Niederbieber standard, the fragment of the cohort designation isn't all that is there. There is also a disc showing in relief a legionary officer (Germanicus?) standing on a pile of german weapons.
Titus Licinius Neuraleanus
aka Lee Holeva
Conscribe te militem in legionibus, vide mundum, inveni terras externas, cognosce miros peregrinos, eviscera eos.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legiotricesima.org">http://www.legiotricesima.org
Hi Lucius,
Hehehe. I was looking at the left vexillum. That does seem to be an eagle.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Salvete,

For our period, we could use any of the following designated suffixes;

· COH I BAT (avorvm) (British-based unit involved in the Claudian invasion, or as attested on diplomas dated to the emperors from Trajan to Marcus Aurelius).

· COH I BAT (avorvm) M (reformed after the Batavian revolt in 69AD) The ‘M’ suffix denotes the miliaria (one-thousand strong) unit detailed on diplomas dating from the reign of Trajan to Marcus Aurelius and took part in the Dacian Campaigns.

· COH I BAT (avorvm) PF. The ‘PF’ suffix denotes Pia Fidelis (loyal and faithful) as it appears on a two diplomas from the reign of Trajan.

· COH I BAT (avorvm) MCRPF (Miliaria Civium Romanorum Pia Fidelis). The same unit, but granted block citizenship during Trajan’s Dacian campaigns. This means we can stop the legionaries going on about ‘asylum seekers’ as this unit are Citizen soldiers, the same as them!

Interestingly, when we pick up the unit again on diplomas issued under Marcus Aurelius, the unit is no longer listed as anything more that I Batavorvm and I Batavorvm Miliaria.

I would say any of these would be acceptable.

Regards,
That's an important source which helps "legitimize" emblems on military vexilla, though for the first century, I believe there is still only evidence of leterring. It seems probable that what we are seeing are both sides of a vexilla in the flanking representations, the image of an eagle on one side and related inscription (Army of Aquiliea) on the other.

But back to the original question, if you mean to depict the Roman army in Christian times with a Capricorn vexillium, you should determine if a "zodiac emblem" would be considered sacrilegious and therefore possibly no longer in use. Some pagan religious elements were tolerated and even absorbed into Christian beliefs, but I am not sure about astrology and the zodiac.

Dan
Hi All,

A Bit OT but do you think there might be a connection between Roman eagle vexilla and later 'bird' standards like the viking Raven standard mentioned in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle and Asser's life of Alfred (IIRC) about the time of the battle of Ethandune in 878 AD? possibly a connection between later Germanic 'magic totems' and captured Roman standards?

Just a thought

Cheers
Murray K Dahm

\'\'\'\'No matter how many you kill, you cannot kill your successor\'\'\'\' - Seneca to Nero - Dio 62

\'\'\'\'There is no way of correcting wrongdoing in those who think that the height of virtue consists in the execution of their will\'\'\'\' - Ammianus Marcellinus 27.7.9
This is now a very old thread - but since it was MY old thread to begin with, I'll take it up again.

First, thanks for input, everyone.

Second, our signa is now 85% complete - the spearpoint, footsteps and buttspike remain. Even uncompleted, it gets oohs and aahs from everyone. So, thank you to Matt Lukes who did the work for us. The capricorn is superb, and the wreath is great too. He definately gets my seal of approval!

:wink:
Gauis Julius Quartus / John Christianson

Multum cum in omnibus rebus tum in re militari potest fortuna. (Caesar, BG, VI.30)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  One for Flavius Crispvs - Legio XIIII coin Crispvs 1 1,041 08-16-2006, 08:05 AM
Last Post: Peroni