Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Notitia Dignitatum redated to AD450?
It would be interesting to see the thesis broaden out into the wider frontier listings while also examining the officia of the Magistri as listed in the ND to see if both cohere around a 440s AD date. As it stands - apart from a digression of the Aegyptian garrison - the work focuses mainly on the MM organisation and the field armies as reflective of the later 440s date and not the usual 395AD. The limitanei dispositions must therefore reflect (following the author's thesis) a 440s date which would need to be married up to surviving evidence elsewhere.

I don't necessarily think it is improbable that the revised ND lists the frontier units as they were in the 440s and not the 395 date but that supposes a strong continuity through the upheavals of the post-Adrianople devastation and long Gothic war under Theodosius. I think there could be much fruitful investigation there to back up or challenge the thesis.

The administrative staff or officia listed under the Magistri might be a fruitful area to examine as the titles and functions may (or may not) differ from the latter years of the 4th century into the mid 5th century. These might show continuity given how conservative the Roman Empire was or instead evidence a change in posts which could chart a specific period in time. For example: In addition to the units enumerated above, the Notitia gives the Magister Militum per Illyricum's staff is detailed as follows:

21.35 A chief of staff (princeps)
21.36 Two accountants (numerarii)
21.37 A custodian (commentariensis)
21.38 Chief clerks (primiscrinios) who become accountants
21.39 Clerks (scriniarios)
21.40 Secretaries (exceptores) and other attendants (apparitores)

Do these reflect 4th century titles/functions or 5th century ones - or was there no change through this period and therefore could be either?

Again, back to my observation that I lack a good academic background here!
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii

Messages In This Thread
RE: Notitia Dignitatum redated to AD450? - by Longovicium - 08-28-2023, 06:44 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Notitia Dignitatum - new discussions Robert Vermaat 4 3,103 10-11-2018, 10:06 AM
Last Post: Marcus Asprenas Fidelus
  Notitia Dignitatum Nathan Ross 10 3,958 02-01-2016, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Notitia Dignitatum Logarythmus 12 2,970 01-20-2015, 10:14 PM
Last Post: Renatus