Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about the 6th century Roman army
I was wondering where I could get information about their equipment?
Whose equipment?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
(01-11-2022, 04:23 PM)limitatus Wrote: I was wondering where I could get information about their equipment?

"The Late Roman Army" Pat Southern & Karen.R.Dickson, has reasonable coverage...
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
(01-13-2022, 07:54 AM)Robert Vermaat Wrote: Whose equioment?

Infantryman
This one is probably quite relevant, inexpensive and still available:

Romano-Byzantine Infantry Equipment: Amazon.co.uk: Ian Stephenson: 9780752428864: Books

The companion cavalry volume covers a longer period but does go up to the early Byzantine period:

Roman Cavalry Equipment: Amazon.co.uk: I. P. Stephenson, Karen Dixon: 9780752414218: Books

Other titles by the same author here:

Amazon.co.uk: I. P. Stephenson: Books, Biography, Blogs, Audiobooks, Kindle
I would suggest also The Grand Strategy of the Byzantine Empire, Luttwak. If I remember correctly that is the great age of cataphracts and mounted archers (and some contempt for the infantry).
- CaesarAugustus
www.romanempire.cloud
(Marco Parente)
(01-21-2022, 06:46 PM)CaesarAugustus Wrote: I would suggest also The Grand Strategy of the Byzantine Empire, Luttwak. If I remember correctly that is the great age of cataphracts and mounted archers (and some contempt for the infantry).

I wouldn't. 

"Luttwak has much that is useful to say about the Byzantines’ strategy, especially when discussing their military manuals. His book, however, is not so strong when it comes to Byzantine history. It is out of touch with the state of the field. More precision and better information would have smoothed the union of history and strategic theory that is attempted here."
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Another thought on a book about the actual equipment is this one from sadly now-defunct Montvert Publications of Stockport (who also had a couple of nice titles on Hellenistic armies by Nick Sekunda, illustrations by the late, great Angus McBride).  The plates in this one are not quite at the McBride level but it is solely 6th C in coverage:

Justinian's Wars: Belisarius, Narses and the Reconquest of the West: Amazon.co.uk: Boss, Roy, Chapman, R., Garriock, P., Rothero, Christopher: 9781874101017: Books
(01-23-2022, 11:36 AM)John W Davison Wrote: Another thought on a book about the actual equipment is this one from sadly now-defunct Montvert Publications of Stockport (who also had a couple of nice titles on Hellenistic armies by Nick Sekunda, illustrations by the late, great Angus McBride).  The plates in this one are not quite at the McBride level but it is solely 6th C in coverage:

Justinian's Wars: Belisarius, Narses and the Reconquest of the West: Amazon.co.uk: Boss, Roy, Chapman, R., Garriock, P., Rothero, Christopher: 9781874101017: Books

I have that book and there is some questionable stuff in there.
(01-22-2022, 03:10 PM)Robert Vermaat Wrote:
(01-21-2022, 06:46 PM)CaesarAugustus Wrote: I would suggest also The Grand Strategy of the Byzantine Empire, Luttwak. If I remember correctly that is the great age of cataphracts and mounted archers (and some contempt for the infantry).

I wouldn't. 

"Luttwak has much that is useful to say about the Byzantines’ strategy, especially when discussing their military manuals. His book, however, is not so strong when it comes to Byzantine history. It is out of touch with the state of the field. More precision and better information would have smoothed the union of history and strategic theory that is attempted here."

Can you add some examples?
- CaesarAugustus
www.romanempire.cloud
(Marco Parente)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late Roman Army during the 5th century Robert Vermaat 89 17,625 01-11-2024, 04:34 PM
Last Post: Magister_Officiorum13241
  1st century B.C Roman army Sprinks44 1 973 02-22-2013, 06:08 AM
Last Post: Tarbicus
  Late Roman Army (Fifth century) L.Valerius Gaudentius 36 7,790 04-25-2006, 02:23 PM
Last Post: P. Lilius Frugius Simius