Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Fate of the Ninth
(07-21-2021, 07:22 AM)dadlamassu Wrote:
(07-20-2021, 05:18 PM)MonsGraupius Wrote:
(07-20-2021, 10:28 AM)John1 Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbGW9CVPWrU
Thanks for posting. Great video where for once I leant a lot more without a lot of rubbish being included. Indeed, the only error was to call the Scottish tribes "Pictish", which shouldn't be used before 297AD.

And just to be totally pedantic ... of course they weren't Scottish until centuries later.

Unfortunately I could not make out all of what was being said because of the "atmospheric" music and background "battle" noises swamping my hearing aids.  Had to use the subtitles.  Had not heard of the "sway beat" and "nervy" tribes nor the "garlic war" or the "battle of probate" where "the boy and tulingi" arrived to force a stalemate.  Did you know that "in 58bc hello fly a german (sic) tribe named the swabi under arya vistas ..."

Want a laugh?  Watch without sound but with subtitles and you will see what I mean.

Should have added I was impressed with the battle fighting. I presume it was from Rome total war ... but I attempted something similar and ran into problems. It's some time since I tried - my version of Rome Total war stopped working reliably, and so I was wondering whether there had been an update making it worth another go.
Oh the grand oh Duke Suetonius, he had a Roman legion, he galloped rushed down to (a minor settlement called) Londinium then he galloped rushed back again. Londinium Bridge is falling down, falling down ... HOLD IT ... change of plans, we're leaving the bridge for Boudica and galloping rushing north.
(07-21-2021, 10:38 AM)MonsGraupius Wrote: Should have added I was impressed with the battle fighting. I presume it was from Rome total war ... but I attempted something similar and ran into problems. It's some time since I tried - my version of Rome Total war stopped working reliably, and so I was wondering whether there had been an update making it worth another go.

Curiously.....

Feral have released a 'Remastered' version of the original RTW via Steam just recently.  Various Mod Teams are working hard!   I'm busy testing and commenting.....

The Vanilla game has a very acceptable Campaign level, although the battles (as original, indeed) are pretty bad.  Things can only improve.  Feel free to check out the RIS Mod, hopefully, in September.
(07-21-2021, 10:38 AM)MonsGraupius Wrote: Should have added I was impressed with the battle fighting. I presume it was from Rome total war ... but I attempted something similar and ran into problems. It's some time since I tried - my version of Rome Total war stopped working reliably, and so I was wondering whether there had been an update making it worth another go.

Yes it was from RTW and sadly that's all that most YT videos seem to use. Especially deplorable when combined with combined with footage of Medieval helmets.. Sad
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)