Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
XXX Ulpia Victrix
Ave Civitas,

I have who the XXX Ulpia Victrix would have been assigned to before it disappeared.   I know it was stationed at Xanten, but under which Magister Militum would that area fall under?

As always, thank you all in advance.

Tom
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Historiae Eruditere (if that is proper Latin)
(02-01-2020, 02:20 AM)Lothia Wrote:  I know it was stationed at Xanten, but under which Magister Militum would that area fall under?

What year are you looking at?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
(02-01-2020, 02:20 AM)Lothia Wrote: stationed at Xanten, but under which Magister Militum would that area fall under?

I think there are two separate questions here, one about XXX UV and the other about the Magistri.

The legion was presumably still based at Xanten in the early 4th century, as the new smaller fortress was apparently named Tricensima ('thirtieth'), and was still known by that name by Ammianus. But the fortress was apparently sacked and abandoned c.AD352, so the legion must have left at or before that time.

(*Ammianus also mentions the 'soldiers of the thirtieth' being at Amida in AD359, which suggests that the whole legion might have been sent east, perhaps as they were thought untrustworthy after supporting Magnentius in 350-53. This would explain why the Franks found it possible to capture and destroy their fortress!)

The earliest Magistri Militum probably date to the last years of Constantine, when he set up separate army commands under his sons in preparation for dividing the empire between them. Each Caesar - including Constantine II in Gaul - may only have had a Magister Equitum, or both a Magister Equitum and Magister Peditum.

After Constans took over Gaul in 340, he may have maintained both Magistri in the western provinces, or only one. The earliest known Magistri date from the 340s, although the earliest from Gaul is I think Romulus, Magister Equitum of Magnentius, who was killed at Mursa in 351. The title is only known from Greek literature.

The first attested Magister in Gaul in Latin would be Claudius Silvanus, who is addressed in a law of either 349 or (more likely) 352/3 (C.Th 7.1.2) as Comes et Magister Equitum et Peditum. He was a usurper at Cologne in AD355, so this was probably the same command, over the Gallic provinces and Germanic frontier.

As far as I know, none of the earlier Magistri have the additional title per Gallias, as suggested in the Notitia. Zosimus mentions that Chariobaudes, killed in AD408, was Magister (Utriusque Militiae?) per Gallias. Nannienus and Quintinus, campaigning across the Rhine in AD388, are just described as Militares Magistri; presumably one was Equitum and the other Peditum. An inscription to Aetius in Rome calls him Magister Militum per Gallias.
Nathan Ross
(02-04-2020, 02:47 PM)Nathan Ross Wrote:
(02-01-2020, 02:20 AM)Lothia Wrote: stationed at Xanten, but under which Magister Militum would that area fall under?

I think there are two separate questions here, one about XXX UV and the other about the Magistri.

The legion was presumably still based at Xanten in the early 4th century, as the new smaller fortress was apparently named Tricensima ('thirtieth'), and was still known by that name by Ammianus. But the fortress was apparently sacked and abandoned c.AD352, so the legion must have left at or before that time.

(*Ammianus also mentions the 'soldiers of the thirtieth' being at Amida in AD359, which suggests that the whole legion might have been sent east, perhaps as they were thought untrustworthy after supporting Magnentius in 350-53. This would explain why the Franks found it possible to capture and destroy their fortress!)

The earliest Magistri Militum probably date to the last years of Constantine, when he set up separate army commands under his sons in preparation for dividing the empire between them. Each Caesar - including Constantine II in Gaul - may only have had a Magister Equitum, or both a Magister Equitum and Magister Peditum.

After Constans took over Gaul in 340, he may have maintained both Magistri in the western provinces, or only one. The earliest known Magistri date from the 340s, although the earliest from Gaul is I think Romulus, Magister Equitum of Magnentius, who was killed at Mursa in 351. The title is only known from Greek literature.

The first attested Magister in Gaul in Latin would be Claudius Silvanus, who is addressed in a law of either 349 or (more likely) 352/3 (C.Th 7.1.2) as Comes et Magister Equitum et Peditum. He was a usurper at Cologne in AD355, so this was probably the same command, over the Gallic provinces and Germanic frontier.

As far as I know, none of the earlier Magistri have the additional title per Gallias, as suggested in the Notitia. Zosimus mentions that Chariobaudes, killed in AD408, was Magister (Utriusque Militiae?) per Gallias. Nannienus and Quintinus, campaigning across the Rhine in AD388, are just described as Militares Magistri; presumably one was Equitum and the other Peditum. An inscription to Aetius in Rome calls him Magister Militum per Gallias.

Robert, Nathan,

Thank you both for your responses. A snowy windstorm blew through where I am and tore the satellite dish right off the side of my house. Been very isolated.

I think I got my answer. The year I am currently writing about is AD 394 and the XXX would have been part of Gallic Field Army under the Master of Horse of Gaul.

Again, thanks for your help.

Robert, Nathan,

Looks like I ended my post too soon. Now I have another question. If, during the Magnentius rebellion the fortresses along the lower Rhine were abandoned, who was there to protect northern Gaul?
AKA Tom Chelmowski

(02-14-2020, 11:14 PM)Lothia Wrote: AD 394 and the XXX would have been part of Gallic Field Army under the Master of Horse of Gaul.

I would think it very unlikely that the thirtieth survived beyond AD359, when they were last heard of defending Amida. The remnants were probably destroyed with the fall of the city.

The Truncensimani that appear in the ND's list for the Magister Equitum Galliarum are more probably the old Numerus Turnacensium from Britain, as they appear alongside several other ex-'Saxon Shore' units.

(02-14-2020, 11:14 PM)Lothia Wrote: If, during the Magnentius rebellion the fortresses along the lower Rhine were abandoned, who was there to protect northern Gaul?

The lower Rhine forts were reoccupied and repaired by Julian in 358-61, but we don't know who formed the garrison. Probably not the original units from before 350; perhaps locally-raised milites formations instead?

By the time of the western section of the ND the lower Rhine appears to have been abandoned north of Cologne (or perhaps even the Mainz district). Stilicho went there in AD396 or so and reorganised the defences, possibly by effectively ceding the frontier to the Franks. They seem to have been the only defenders against the Vandals et al in 405/6 anyway. There may have been Roman troops garrisoned in some of the hinterland cities of Belgica and northern Gaul, however.

Here's a good paper about the situation in the in the 4th and 5th centuries: Soldiers and Society in Late Roman Belgica.
Nathan Ross
Nathan,

Thanks for the reply. It will help with the authenticity of what I write.

Lothia
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  XXX ulpia shield design 2nd century 1493541 2 2,340 12-08-2013, 02:06 PM
Last Post: 1493541