Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
XXX ulpia shield design 2nd century
Salvete Omnes!

For my first thread I want to bring up the topic of shield designs.
I plan on making a scutum and my favorite legion is xxx ulpia, and I would like to have some guidelines on how to paint it for that legion. I know that most evidence of shield designs points to wings and lightning bolts, but I am sceptic all that that much effort would be put in to standard shields. I own Dando-Collins's book and I feel the shield emblem for the 30th is more of an artistic rendering. I plan on reprinting the shield to reenactment legion specifications if I join one. Your help is mech appreciated.
Gratias Tibi
AVLVS GALERIVS PRISCVS-Charlie Broder
The speculative designs shown in the recent Dando-Collins book are based on legion coin images - there's no evidence that these were used as shield designs. See this thread here... ;-)

The 'wings and thunderbolt' designs turns up in a variety of representations throughout the first and early second centuries (assuming that's the period you're interested in) - Trajan's column shows about nine variations of it. If sculptors could be bothered to carve this complex design into stone so often, we can be fairly sure that legionaries actually did use it, probably in much easier painted form!

The second most common shield pattern for this era seems to have been the victory wreath. Sometimes this was combined with the thunderbolt... No particular design is known for XXX UV, so you could take your pick.
Nathan Ross
Thank you! I think I will paint a victory wreath.
AVLVS GALERIVS PRISCVS-Charlie Broder

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  XXX Ulpia Victrix Lothia 5 1,561 02-17-2020, 03:41 AM
Last Post: Lothia
  Praetorian shield sizes\shape in the early third century Garys152 5 3,175 10-24-2016, 10:34 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Roman Shield Design in Ancient Warfare Vol II Issue 6 BigRedBat 13 3,337 01-24-2009, 09:11 PM
Last Post: BigRedBat