Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any notable Roman sites to visit in northern italy?
Hey everyone, I am going to be driving through the Alps, to Venice and then to Florence. I really would like to take in as much Roman history as I can whilst i am in Italy. Im obviously going to the main sites, which i am dreading the crowds. But does anyone know of any lesser known interesting sites to see on my route? Anything from the Kingdom to the late empire i am eager to see. 

Particularly would anyone know of any ancient sites within the Carnic Alps, on the eastern most side of the italian Alps? My family is from here so even if there was some Celtic or migration period sites in this area i would be very interested.

Thanks in advance
You might like to visit the archaeological site of Aquileia, which has some extensive ruins.

Otherwise in the north-east you have Verona, with its arena, theatre, roman gate, bridge and lapidary museum. Also Lake Garda, with the villa ruins on the promontory of Sirmione ('villa of Catullus') and later villa at nearby Desenzano.
Nathan Ross
(01-02-2020, 08:42 PM)Nathan Ross Wrote: You might like to visit the archaeological site of Aquileia, which has some extensive ruins.

Otherwise in the north-east you have Verona, with its arena, theatre, roman gate, bridge and lapidary museum. Also Lake Garda, with the villa ruins on the promontory of Sirmione ('villa of Catullus') and later villa at nearby Desenzano.

Verona does have a large "Colosseum" to rival that of Rome...

But what comes to mind for me is:

“Two households, both alike in dignity
In fair Verona, where we lay our scene
From ancient grudge break to new mutiny
Where civil blood makes civil hands unclean.
From forth the fatal loins of these two foes
A pair of star-cross'd lovers take their life
Whose misadventured piteous overthrows
Do with their death bury their parents' strife.”

"The most excellent and lamentable tragedy, of Romeo and Juliet"

Worth a Visit.
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Its a shame because Verona, is not on the path we are taking and is a little out of the way from where we are heading. I would have loved to see the whole Romeo and Juliet theme of the city.
But Aquilea is definitely on my list. Its on my way down to Venice.
Near Florence I suggest to visit Fiesole. Not far from Florence (around 5 km), and offering ruins from Etruscan and Roman period, in addition to a splendid landscape.
- CaesarAugustus
www.romanempire.cloud
(Marco Parente)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman villas in Northern England Robert Vermaat 0 64 04-17-2024, 12:21 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Roman sites in the Cotswolds Purplest 9 4,194 08-01-2016, 06:14 PM
Last Post: Purplest
  Roman Forts or Ruins in Northern Scotland? Roman Military History is 4 Me 20 5,134 07-24-2013, 05:35 PM
Last Post: Roman Military History is 4 Me