Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Headquarters locations.
Ave Civitas,

I can find he locations of most of the legions, etc locations from the ND.  But where would I find a listing (or map) of locations of the headquarters of the major Roman army commands,

i.e.
Where was the Comes Africae headquarter located?
Comes Hispenias,
Comes Illyricum,
Comes Litoris Saxonici,
Comes Tingitaniae,
etc, etc.

Is there a source I can get where these are listed?

Again, thank you in advance.
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Historiae Eruditere (if that is proper Latin)
(12-08-2019, 05:10 PM)Lothia Wrote: Is there a source I can get where these are listed?

Not as far as I know - the ND is the only source for much of late administration and organisation, and tells us nothing.

There might be some evidence in the Theodosian and later laws, although this might at best tell you where some office-holder was at the time the law was issued.

The Comes Africae was probably based in Carthage - Heraclianus, who held the post c.408-413, was killed in the Temple of Memory in that city, and Bonifatius, who also held the same post, probably fortified the city in the following decade.

So we might assume that most of the other provincial comites had their main bases in the leading city of the region under their control. The Comes Hispaniae was a later command, and perhaps a rather 'mobile' one. The Comes Litoris Saxonici may have been based in London, perhaps, or one of the larger coastal fortificiations.
Nathan Ross
Nathan,

Thanks for the reply.
I kinda half assumed that is what the answers would be but I didn't want to make a mistake out of ignorance.
Your help is appreciated.
Tom
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Historiae Eruditere (if that is proper Latin)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Varus Headquarters found at last ? Simplex 23 6,710 01-21-2014, 11:40 AM
Last Post: ParthianBow
  Battles with unknown locations otto312944 11 2,651 07-12-2012, 05:18 PM
Last Post: starman2012